Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

refund my ticket to my credit card dont work w my$ Im not a bank.

JF
Explorer A

I booked a SW flight but it was a wanna getaway. Fine print said no refund on credit card. They had 2 other more expensive options that let you get the money put back on your card. I didnt notice wanna getaway is not refundable. I wrote to SW and offered even to settle for 50% refund. My complaint is that SW offered my $659.00 fare for $99.00 due to people afraid to fly during the virus crisis. Thus, I felt my Flight was either canceled or empty so I was not preventing someone from spending more money. So why the unjust enrichment. SW has exciting Bold Print Sales but the fine print is so lite. I read the business class is refundable to your credit card so I figured all the categories had the same policy. I offered SW Id be happy to split the loss if they would refund me 50 per cent of my fare as the plane either didnt fly or was almost empty. The reply was I thought from Scotts Fertilizer as the woman scolded me that

they only can offer a cheap wanna getaway if people fly but would loose if someone backed out.I would agree on a FULL FLIGHT, but an empty Flight due to this virus crisis is like saying I should subsidize the airline's profit when me cancelling did not prevent another booking. Why cant they just put my money back on my credit card. That same flight that I booked at 659.00 round trip was offered by SW for 99.00; so if they gave me  one half back on my credit card they still would have 3 flights worth of profit. In the United States the common law principal, "Equity will enjoin unjust enrichment".  Here I offered to mitigate as a Senior Citizen I felt a Big Business like SW could meet me half way but instead they just reply that they won't put my $ back on the credit card distorting what really happened and not addressing why if their fare was down to $99.00 they couldn't mitigate and give me 1/2 of what I paid. Talk about Fertilization and patronizing emails they gave me so many excuses avoiding the issues I thought I was dealing with a Fertilizing Politician. If you spend 5 min. selling a Customer you should spend 5 hours of Service & when your Lips move the Truth should come out. 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: refund my ticket to my credit card dont work w my$ Im not a bank.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JF wrote:

I booked a SW flight but it was a wanna getaway. Fine print said no refund on credit card. They had 2 other more expensive options that let you get the money put back on your card. I didnt notice wanna getaway is not refundable. I wrote to SW and offered even to settle for 50% refund. My complaint is that SW offered my $659.00 fare for $99.00 due to people afraid to fly during the virus crisis. Thus, I felt my Flight was either canceled or empty so I was not preventing someone from spending more money. So why the unjust enrichment. SW has exciting Bold Print Sales but the fine print is so lite. I read the business class is refundable to your credit card so I figured all the categories had the same policy. I offered SW Id be happy to split the loss if they would refund me 50 per cent of my fare as the plane either didnt fly or was almost empty. The reply was I thought from Scotts Fertilizer as the woman scolded me that

they only can offer a cheap wanna getaway if people fly but would loose if someone backed out.I would agree on a FULL FLIGHT, but an empty Flight due to this virus crisis is like saying I should subsidize the airline's profit when me cancelling did not prevent another booking. Why cant they just put my money back on my credit card. That same flight that I booked at 659.00 round trip was offered by SW for 99.00; so if they gave me  one half back on my credit card they still would have 3 flights worth of profit. In the United States the common law principal, "Equity will enjoin unjust enrichment".  Here I offered to mitigate as a Senior Citizen I felt a Big Business like SW could meet me half way but instead they just reply that they won't put my $ back on the credit card distorting what really happened and not addressing why if their fare was down to $99.00 they couldn't mitigate and give me 1/2 of what I paid. Talk about Fertilization and patronizing emails they gave me so many excuses avoiding the issues I thought I was dealing with a Fertilizing Politician. If you spend 5 min. selling a Customer you should spend 5 hours of Service & when your Lips move the Truth should come out. 

Unfortunately, despite the pandemic, Wanna Get Away fares remain non-refundable if the customer cancels their flight. You do however receive an extension on the expiration date for your travel funds, now good through June 30, 2021 (all travel must be completed by then).

If you haven't yet cancelled (unlikely, but just in case) don't. If Southwest cancels the flight you're entitled to a full refund. If they don't cancel, you have up until 10 minutes prior to departure to do so and receive travel funds.

Sorry I'm not able to be more help.

JF
Explorer A

Thanks for reply. My friends wife was given 5 years to live so I dropped everything to fly there to be supportive. The last thing I remember was i cancelled as she was put on Cemo & I feared if I gave her the virus from catching it at a busy airport or on the plane Id never forgive myself as this happened at time the virus was just ramping up. The last I checked SW lowered the fares from $659.00 to $99.00 so I dont even know to this day if flight was canceled? Thus, I felt it was not like I was preventing SW from getting $659.00. So I felt betrayed that they wouldn't mitigate. I hate flying but my duty to my friend always overcomes my own issues. Now I feel like I lost that money as I probably won't fly unless another tragedy befalls me in the next year. You are a good soul to reply and soundalike you are your own man, so thanks for trying. ( I am a small business and I spoil my Customer's so I guess my standards are too high) When I wrote to SW they gave the same patronizing answers and never addressed my Logical question: That if they were Flying for $99.00 and I was willing to take 1/2 of my $659.00 back on my credit card why if they had 3 people flying at $99.00 would they still be ahead. ( I get the part of if they did that it would be a precedent but with this virus going on why could they not mitigate during the crisis)?

At least you seem to try to help if you could so .

Thank you,

Jim

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you cancelled your booking unfortunately it doesn't matter if later Southwest cancelled the flight. Check the email confirmation you received, it will show whether or not you cancelled.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you've noticed, non-refundable fares are quite a bit cheaper than refundable or more flexible fares.  This is common practice for all airlines and you even see similar behavior in hotels.  More expensive fares allow you to change your plans without additional costs or get a full cash refund if you decide to cancel your plans.  It pays to know the different limitations and rules for the various fares before you purchase.  If you purchased a Wanna Get Away fare and decide to cancel, Southwest does allow you to get the amount paid in the form of a travel fund that can be used for travel before June 30, 2021, but you won't get cash back unless Southwest cancels your flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

JF
Explorer A

Hi Middle Seat,

How can I find out if that flight was cancelled? I suspect it was as the fares dropped to $99.00 vs $695.00? (by the way thanks for reply)

dfwskier
Aviator A

If your flight number changed, your flight was cancelled and you were rebooked on another flight,

JF
Explorer A

TO: DFWSKIER,

Thanks for reply. I dont know if they canceled my flight & thought if they did I could get a 

refund? I think what you are saying even if they canceled the flight they probably rebooked it and thus I would not be eligible? Either way I am exhausted trying to get my $ back on my credit card because I dont want to fly w SW as (difference of opinion w many here) I strongly feel that when they changed there from $659.00 to $99.00 at that point I was not preventing them from getting $659.00 so they could have mitigated and even given me half back. At the time I booked the flight I checked the fine print on one of the other fares and it said $ back on credit card. I was in hurry as there was a Family emergency so I assumed the policy was same for those Wanna getaway fares.(I get the concept of a lower fare is not refundable as normally someone else would grab the fare but w the unforeseen emergency of the Virus hardly anyone was Flying. I also get the part where if they make an exception for me this would be a costly precedent. I am just old fashion and disgusted that they dont admit that is the reason and could say only during the virus will we consider making the exception. Instead they dont answer the question but probably at the advice of their attorneys wave the Company Fertilization mitigation Flag and say we will extend when you could reuse the ticket. At the time I read how the other airlines were sanitizing between flights while SW sanitized one per day. So when I original booked to visit my friend whose wife was diagnosed w cancer I feared I could give her the virus if someone on the plane or airport infected me so I canceled. How they can take $659.00 of my $ and be so insensitive to the situation is not the Service I give to my Customers. I have been in business now for 40 years & its because I listen to the individual needs of my Customers as best as possible not like this. I sincerely thank you for trying to help me but SW has raised the bar for Cavet Emptor.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JF wrote:

TO: DFWSKIER,

Thanks for reply. I dont know if they canceled my flight & thought if they did I could get a 

refund?  

If your flight number is different, then your original flight was cancelled. Thus you are eligible for a refund.

The fact that the airline rebooked you makes no difference.

apm
Adventurer C

SW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL SITUATIONS! You are just a # to them and a source of income. They will not add the human side to their policies and make any exceptions. They have changed LUV into HATE. Once you use your credit funds, then make a promise to never fly them again, spread the word, there are petitions with over 3500 signatures asking for refunds for any paid ticket (Change.org). Look for an law office to help start a class action suit. All unhappy customers can ban together. Let's bring bad press to SW. They will not listen to your plea or sob story. Their officers are just interested in vesting their stock options received in January. They just do not care about anything but their bottom line. They hide behind their positions and layers of management and policies. SHAME ON SW. I HATE SW NOW!