Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

school field trip

longsm
Explorer C

my son is booked on a 6am flight tomorrow from TPA to PHL #573 for a school field trip.  The county yesterday canceled the trip due to coronavirus fears and guidance from the FL Dept of Education.  

Some group of parents and kids still want to go but it will have to now be a private trip - no county liability insurance.  The Travel agency is not offering refunds unless the FAA says air travel is restricted (not the case).  

I would like to know that I can get a direct refund from Southwest at least for the air travel portion of the trip if we cancel out of an abundance of caution for our 13 year old son.  As a frequent SW traveler I know this is a standing policy.  How do I get this credit if we miss the flight.  Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Re: school field trip

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@longsm wrote:

my son is booked on a 6am flight tomorrow from TPA to PHL #573 for a school field trip.  The county yesterday canceled the trip due to coronavirus fears and guidance from the FL Dept of Education.  

Some group of parents and kids still want to go but it will have to now be a private trip - no county liability insurance.  The Travel agency is not offering refunds unless the FAA says air travel is restricted (not the case).  

I would like to know that I can get a direct refund from Southwest at least for the air travel portion of the trip if we cancel out of an abundance of caution for our 13 year old son.  As a frequent SW traveler I know this is a standing policy.  How do I get this credit if we miss the flight.  Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about the sudden change in plans. I'm sure it's very frustrating.

First, did you book the flight yourself, ie was his fare not part of a group travel booking? If so, just cancel at least 10 minutes prior to scheduled departure and you will receive a travel credit for the full amount paid, usable by your son for future travel up to one year from the original date of purchase.

If his fare was part of a group travel package you will have to discuss options with whoever it was that booked the package for you. 

Good luck!

Re: school field trip

Jiggy
Explorer C

We are in a similar situation unfortunately. We have a group scheduled to leave for New York on Saturday but chose to cancel when the city declared a State of Emergency! My personal feelings on the CoronaVirus don't matter in this situation but we are at the mercy of the city of NY. If they choose to continue to implement quarantines or they decide to close the airport our  children could be stranded there for up to 14 days with their chaperones. 

Our group is a lower income organization from a small town in Mississippi. Most likely these families won't have an opportunity to fly within the next 12 months so the money will be wasted. Since our destination is under a State of Emergency I think it is reasonable to issue a refund. Southwest is putting us parents in a position to choose between child safety and financial setback. We were told that if we booked a more expensive fare they could refund us the tickets. This is disappointing to say the least.