Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

short time plane change

maryh1959
Adventurer C

I have a flight SAN to STL with a plane change in LAS. We land in LAS at 620pm and take off at 705pm. If the first leg is delayed for any reason and I don't make it to LAS in time to catch the next leg what do I do? Who's fault is it and will I get any recompensation for my delay? Last flight out of LAS for the night.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: short time plane change

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Assuming you booked the trip in a single reservation (SAN-STL) and not as two separate reservations (SAN-LAS and LAS-STL), Southwest will see that you are connecting and may hold the LAS-STL flight for you depending on how late you are. While a delay may or may not be Southwest's fault (lots of possible reasons for a delay), Southwest will not compensate you. There are occasional stories about customers finding a very nice agent who may offer a small travel voucher, but it's not likely. If you see your SAN flight is delayed, immediately start asking agents at the airport if there are alternatives to get you to STL, don't wait until the last minute to do this. On some days there's a 4:10 flight SAN-PHX that offers a connection to STL so if you spot the delay early enough perhaps you can take that routing. Be proactive and know your options. 

maryh1959
Adventurer C

Hmmmm I think that when we land in SAN that we will ask about catching an earlier flight out to come back. Many flights to LAS from SAN on that day.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can always change your flight to an earlier one, you just need to pay the difference in fare. That's exactly what any Southwest agent will tell you. You can do that anytime online or on the phone. If you're A List you can standby on any earlier flight for free.