Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

snacks

Skrollin007
Explorer C

Can we bring snacks for kids on long flights?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: snacks

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Certainly! Anything not a gel or liquid can be brought with you through security and anything you purchase after security can be brought onto the plane. Make sandwiches at home and grab a drink after security! Southwest does serve small snacks, the exact items depend on how long the flight is, but usually some peanuts and pretzels are available along with a selection of beverages, and if you ask nicely the flight attendants are most often happy to give you extra or provide a drink refill.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Certainly! Anything not a gel or liquid can be brought with you through security and anything you purchase after security can be brought onto the plane. Make sandwiches at home and grab a drink after security! Southwest does serve small snacks, the exact items depend on how long the flight is, but usually some peanuts and pretzels are available along with a selection of beverages, and if you ask nicely the flight attendants are most often happy to give you extra or provide a drink refill.

--TheMiddleSeat

@TheMiddleSeatYou might be forgetting the lesser known restriction that stinky foods are not allowed on my flights. Other than that, all clear!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE I can't wait until I can be on a flight with you  I'll be sure to bring a nice piping hot bowl of clam chowder and a side of freshly microwaved salmon. Just wait until I open that Tupperware container!

I hate morning flights, not just because I'm not a morning person, but because the smell of coffee or anything resembling an Egg McMuffin on a plane makes me want to empty my stomach. Bleh!

--TheMiddleSeat

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE,

I have been overwhelmed by the stinky foods of others at times, so not everyone has received that message.

@TheMiddleSeat,

3.3 ounces of clam chowder (to get through TSA) will not be very satisfying.  Though you will be glad to know that I have stopped getting coffee on the early flights (in an attempt to recapture some sleep).  I never realized it bothered anyone, so thanks for the headds up.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@CareforNOLA

3.3oz may not, but 3.4oz (TSA's limit) is the perfect amount 😛

How many 3.4oz containers can I get through the PreCheck line since they don't all have to fit in a quart size bag in that line? Hmmmm

Next time I'm in San Francisco with some great chowder I'm totally going to find out!

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@DancingDavidE I can't wait until I can be on a flight with you  I'll be sure to bring a nice piping hot bowl of clam chowder and a side of freshly microwaved salmon. Just wait until I open that Tupperware container!

I hate morning flights, not just because I'm not a morning person, but because the smell of coffee or anything resembling an Egg McMuffin on a plane makes me want to empty my stomach. Bleh!

--TheMiddleSeat

Maybe DEN-MDW-BWI? I'll bring the coffee.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Snacks

bddavemci
Explorer C

I'm sending two teenagers on a flight to California and wanted to send snacks with them as they will have very little cash. So as long as it's not a liquid or stinky they should be fine. Chips, Chocolate and Mike & Ike's should keep them happy. Thanks for the information!