Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

stopover

Johnna
Explorer C

I have a 3 hr stop in Denver in January.  I don't change planes but am I allowed to get off the plane??

3 REPLIES 3

Re: stopover

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Johnna wrote:

I have a 3 hr stop in Denver in January.  I don't change planes but am I allowed to get off the plane??

You sure can.

As a matter of fact, with the enhanced cleaning protocols you will probably be asked to leave the plane.

edit add: you will be allowed to re-board before regular boarding begins.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

With a 3 hour stop I suspect you are changing planes/gates, it's not common for a Southwest plane to sit around for 3 hours, but it does happen so check your itinerary to be sure.  Either way, I can't imagine anyone would want to stay on the plane for 3 hours more than they need to.  If you are changing planes then the early re-boarding does not apply.  There are a number of decent places to eat at DEN, my favorite is Root Down, in the center of the concourse you'll be on.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

With a 3 hour stop I suspect you are changing planes/gates, it's not common for a Southwest plane to sit around for 3 hours, but it does happen so check your itinerary to be sure.  Either way, I can't imagine anyone would want to stay on the plane for 3 hours more than they need to.  If you are changing planes then the early re-boarding does not apply.  There are a number of decent places to eat at DEN, my favorite is Root Down, in the center of the concourse you'll be on.

--TheMiddleSeat

As @dfwskier mentioned - keep your ID handy they will probably use that to let you back on if in fact the flight is a 1-stop, no plane change. and/or take a screenshot of your mobile boarding pass or save it to your iOS or android wallet - the app won't let you regenerate an old boarding pass. You won't have a new boarding pass if it's a no plane change. I would say get back 40 minutes prior to departure to get let back on before regular boarding.

If as @TheMiddleSeat mentioned it seems unlikely that it's a no plane change, then you'll have a separate boarding pass to get back on, head back as normal at least 30 minutes prior to departure time.

I will check out Root Down next time I'm there as well.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.