Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

taking a mobility scooter directly to the gate

cancunmd
Explorer C

I will be taking a GB106 mobility scooter with me to the airport and have been told by SW Customer Service that I am able to take it directly to the gate.  It has a has a dry cell removable battery and it disassembles into 5 pieces.  My question is will the southwest gate attendant store the scooter and bring it back to me assembled and ready to go?   I am unable to do this myself.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: taking a mobility scooter directly to the gate

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @cancunmd

We can gate check your scooter and return to you at the gate upon arrival. Please fill out our Wheelchair Information Form, as it will greatly help the Employees who are assisting you. Also, refer to our Wheelchair FAQ page for information about dry cell assistive devices. 

Cruisenyou
Explorer C

I use a mobility scooter.  I have always taken it to the gate and down the jet way.  We remove and take with us the basket on the front.  We also remove the keys and take them with us too.  This way your scooter won't get turned on accidently and run the battery down.  Southwest has always assisted us in this way and we have never encountered any problems.  Be sure to know approximately what the scooter weighs as they will ask you and be sure you have it all properly ticketed by the gate agent before you board.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for chiming in with your experience, @Cruisenyou! We appreciate you being here on the Community and sharing your insights on traveling with an assistive device. Hope to see more from you!

kyflash1976
Explorer C

I use a mobility scooter each time that I fly.  I also have a walker and walker holder attached to the rear of the scooter.  Southwest always lets me take my scooter all the way to the gate. They are very accommodating. Even though my scooter does disassemble, the gate attendant usually asks me to keep the key and show them how to put it in neutral. Also, I have a pin that I can pull in the rear that I can quickly unattach my walker and holder. They usually have me to do this. 

Upon on arriving at my destination, I wait on the plane until my scooter is brought back to the gate. So even though you may board first, you will most likely be last to get off. So plan accordingly. 

Southwest is is top notch when it comes to accommodating people with disabilities. They are always my airline of choice and have the very best crews, policies, and fees. Southwest Airlines has made traveling with a disability a pleasure instead of a burden. Rest assured, they will take care of you!