Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

taking my own wheelchair

GramaG
Explorer C

I am asking how it works when I bring my own wheelchair for my elderly mother? Will it be easily accessible at our connecting airport?  And at our destination will I have it to move her off the plane?  She can walk short distances, but it is difficult for ramps, steps, and standing.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: taking my own wheelchair

caskey
Explorer B

I can tell you of my experiences traveling many years ago with my Father when he was wheelchair bound.  We had a collapsing wheelchair which folded down like a giant stroller and we gate-checked it.  We would wheel him down the jetway, and then he could walk with assistance onto the plane and into a front row seat.  The wheel chair was then put under the plane.  Once we arrived, we would wait for everyone else to deplane and then the chair was brought to the door of the plane and we would help him off.

In later years when he had even less mobility he would be transitioned to a transfer chair in the terminal which is able to go into the plane and down the aisle right next to the seat he was going to sit in.  Our chair would be taken at the gate, and when we arrived, the same process in reverse, with our chair waiting at the gate again.

Good luck traveling.

MLBinGA
Explorer C

If needed the personal chair can usually be brought onto the plane. Usually it is brought to the door of the aircraft.  An aisle chair can be used if needed while on the aircraft. 

MLBinGA
Explorer C

You have two options. You can gate check your personal chair to your connecting location OR you can gate check out to your final destination and request assistance at your connecting location.   Since it takes substantial time to bring your personal chair up,  I'd recommend the latter if your layover is less than any hour.  (Note if you gate check to your connecting location you'll have to gate check it again at the connecting airport to your destination. )

passion
Explorer C

Hi, can anyone tell me in order to use your own personal wheelchair to roll on to southwest airlines, how wide should it be? what are southwest entry way because I am trying not to use an aisle chair, just roll in with my own and transfer from my wheelchair to the aircraft seat..please  reply someone, anyone...oh and does southwest arm on the seat raise up

GramaG
Explorer C

We took our own wheelchair two years ago, but we checked it to baggage and used the airport wc. My mom was not dependent on it, but needed something to save her strength. I do not know about the transfer questions to the plane seat and arm rest. I'm just a passenger like you. BUT everyone at the airport is very considerate and helpful. I wish you best of luck and happy flying. Southwest is great!

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Just to hop in, the connecting airport should be available to provide you and your mother with a wheelchair during her stopover. As mentioned, you can check it to the connection, but by the time you retrieve it from baggage claim (or the time it makes its way to the ramp), it might be time to check it again!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Thank you for reaching out!  If you're traveling on a Boeing 700 Series aircraft, the aisle way is 15". The armrest in the bulkhead is movable, so it's possible you could do a 90 degree transfer. On an 800 Series, while the aisle way is 15-18" (depending on the year built), we would need to do an aisle chair. Please don't hesitate to speak with an Employee at the airport on your date of travel for your best options. 

Nicole
Community Manager