Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

traveling with a lap child

ariana92
Explorer C

so ive booked tickets for my self and husband but we have a 20 month old child what are the procedures when having a lap child?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: traveling with a lap child

franktravel
Aviator B

Check here!  http://swa.is/23ITg9y

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @ariana92,

Thanks for posting in the Community! 

What kind of procedures are you curious about, specifically? With a little context, we can get you a great answer.

Kstrehlow
Explorer C

I wonder if she's asking the same question I have. How do we let Southwest know that we will have a lap child with us? Do we need to let you know in advance, or can we just show up at the ticket counter with a copy of her birth certificate?

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Hey there!

As a lap baby your child needs to be between 14 days and 2 years old. So you may need a birth certificate to verify his or her age. 

To travel as a lap baby, you just need to show up with the verification and obtain a Boarding Verification Document from the ticket counter. 

You can read read more info here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/family/baby-on-board-pol.html

And, I always remind families to use Family Boarding if you have anything but an A Group Boarding pass. Family Boarding happens between A and B Boarding. The Ops Agent will call for families with small children, and that will be you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

We do usually call ahead of time and have our daughter added, but i believe you can show up at the ticket counter with a birth certificate and add your child then.

Calling ahead of time makes thing go smoothly if you use curbside checkin, especially if you have some extra baby-related items to check.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Disneypooch
Explorer C

So I don't have to do anything at time of booking to alert SWA that we will have a lap baby travelling with us?

sarahsmith
Frequent Flyer C

@Disneypooch - nope, just have to tell them when you check in to check luggage. 🙂

Disneypooch
Explorer C

So we have to add her to our luggage count?😄😄😄

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You can also add them by calling the reservations line (or A-list number if applicable) after booking if you like to have it done before arrival at the airport. Tell them over the phone the name and birthday.

You'd still need to bring the birth certificate for verification.

The main point is that you can't do this online in advance, you have to either call ahead, or do it when you arrive at the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.