Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

type of container for flying with loved one's cremains

galsally
Explorer C

Unfortunately my mom passed away, and I am flying with her cremains in an urn made of wood.  TSA assures me this is acceptable, but Southwest's website states containters with cremains must be plastic or cardwood.  I think the primary criteria is the ability for the container to be X-Rayed.  At any rate, has anyone flown Southwest with their loved one's cremains in a wooden urn?  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: type of container for flying with loved one's cremains

franktravel
Aviator B

From TSA Website 

Carry On Bags: 
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: Yes

"We understand how painful losing a loved one is and we treat crematory remains with respect. Some airlines do not allow cremated remains in checked bags, so please check with your airline to learn more about possible restrictions.

To facilitate screening, we suggest that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material, such as wood or plastic. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image, TSA officers will not be able to clearly determine what is inside the container and the container will not be allowed. Out of respect for the deceased, TSA officers will not open a container, even if requested by the passenger."

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@franktravel wrote:

From TSA Website 

Carry On Bags: 
Yes (Special Instructions)
Checked Bags: Yes

"We understand how painful losing a loved one is and we treat crematory remains with respect. Some airlines do not allow cremated remains in checked bags, so please check with your airline to learn more about possible restrictions.

To facilitate screening, we suggest that you purchase a temporary or permanent crematory container made of a lighter weight material, such as wood or plastic. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image, TSA officers will not be able to clearly determine what is inside the container and the container will not be allowed. Out of respect for the deceased, TSA officers will not open a container, even if requested by the passenger."

I"m sorry to hear this @galsally. I wasn't already familiar with this section of the website, so looking at the Southwest page, it says "recommended" and I think @franktravel's point is that TSA has to be able to scan the urn, so that if TSA will be able to check it in the x-ray machine it would also be allowed by Southwest. 

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Southwest in particular wouldn't take such an irreplaceable container as checked luggage since there isn't any method to track it. (As opposed to transport as cargo which apparently would be tracked as a paid service.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Here is another thread on the community in case you wanted to read these responses.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Traveling-with-cremated-remains/td-...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.