Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

unused travel funds

sheryl_hussey
Explorer C

I am extremely frustrated by the fact that southwest appears to "hide" unused travel credits and puts it on the customer to try to find them, I see this has been written about...a lot...and seems SOOOOO very out of character for an airline claiming to be so customer friendly....hmmmmmm, not as customer oriented as you'd like us to believe, eh?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: unused travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

This has been written about before, and yes, for whatever reason, the airline has not done anything about it.

In the meantime, the airline tells you about unused travel funds each and every time you cancel or change a flight.  It's easy for YOU to keep track of your own travel funds. It's YOUR money. YOU have to decide whether or not YOU care about YOUR money.

MSYTraveler
Explorer C

You speak nasty.  Are you the designated travel fund advisor for SWA?  The company should be transparent about all customer transaction business.  While it is "your money," it's not apparent on the website in an easy to find format.  One has to dig to find it, then have kept up with each confirmation from that flight in order to input the info. 

We live in an advanced technology world.  Surely SWA could hire anyone elementary thru college to set this up visibly in an easy format for all customers.  Elderly or those not computer savy shouldn't have to guess where things are on the website.  SWA makes it very easy to put in credit card info for charges; thus the hidden Fund info could be listed in the same area already showing the confirmation numbers and available funds.

Stop being so richeous for yourself.  Think of others that may not be as fortunate as you to have a gift for documentation and remembering where the documentation is when needed in a hurry.  I hope SWA is paying you for your support of their unfair practices. SWA gets millions returned to them in unused funds... You didn't think the bags actually flew for free did you??

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MSYTraveler wrote:

You speak nasty.  Are you the designated travel fund advisor for SWA?  The company should be transparent about all customer transaction business.  While it is "your money," it's not apparent on the website in an easy to find format.  One has to dig to find it, then have kept up with each confirmation from that flight in order to input the info. 

Feel better after your rant?

Actually, Southwest listened to it's customers. All travel funds created after December

2 are available to view and use on the website - no confirmation numbers needed.

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

For Southwest to maintain a database of every Customer's travel funds, that would be expensive and fares would have to increase as a result.  I think it's great that Southwest allows changes to reservations without changes fees, etc., don't you?  I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a Customer to be responsible for their own travel funds.  If it was cash, wouldn't you keep an eye on it?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I drop every SW confirmation or cancellation email in a special folder, and then I use notes on my phone to keep track of any travel funds.  It take a tiny bit of work, but given that SW offers such a unique, valuable benefit, I am happy to do the extra work.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

wordsmith1313
Explorer A

Hi, Sheryl. Yes, that can be frustrating. As with others on here, I have created a Word document that I update every time I make a flight, with my confirmation number, dates of travel, and the price I paid.

Then if I have to cancel a flight, or if I get a cheaper price and end up with a credit, I just move that up to the top of the page and add the expiration date. Then, next time I book, I have all of my credits listed in one place, so I never lose any money. It also helps a lot if I use just part of a credit, because I cross out the former amount and add the new total of what's left.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, just a few super-simple notes.

I do love changing my flights with no fees, and I also love getting a refund credit if my booked flights go on sale. Keeping such a list is a small thing to do for those benefits, I think.

Safe travels!