Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

wheelchair

mquisto
Explorer C

I do not use a wheelchair but want to bring one strictly as luggage; I need to bring it to a relative in another state for their use.  can this be done? are there extra costs?  it is a manual chair 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: wheelchair

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That is an interesting question. I believe that you will benefit from the fact that Southwest is not going to ask you about your usage of the wheelchair and thus will check it for free, without impacting your standard baggage allowance, as they would any other wheelchair from someone who utilizes one. Now, if you volunteered the fact that it wasn't yours and not a medical need for yourself that might change the story. How you handle the situation is up to you. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

That is an interesting question. I believe that you will benefit from the fact that Southwest is not going to ask you about your usage of the wheelchair and thus will check it for free, without impacting your standard baggage allowance, as they would any other wheelchair from someone who utilizes one. Now, if you volunteered the fact that it wasn't yours and not a medical need for yourself that might change the story. How you handle the situation is up to you. 

Same thing for baby gear. A baby somewhere needs this stroller/car seat/etc. - in my case I was bringing the kids back with me.

But anyway, you get two checked pieces and if you were only checking one otherwise, then it's your second piece.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Tell the baggage claim agent the same story.  See what accommodations they will make.  

To suggest a wheelchair need only to avoid baggage costs would be a violation of Southwest's policy and is a systematic fee avoidance maneuver.

Honesty here is the best policy, as always.