Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

why didn't i get my phone back yet? Lost Item Report # 1514323

cands2009
Explorer C

Let me start by saying I am a long time SW fan. This is the first time I'm having a issue. 

It started last Thursday Jan 17 with me walking onto the plane without my phone and charger at dallas love field airport. Once on the plane (in the air) I knew exactly where I left it at the terminal. Once arriving at my destination I checked on my Where's My Phone app (on my wife's phone) and saw that my phone was at SW baggage claim. They were closed for the night so the next morning I called and a lady confirmed she had my phone and charger, of course she told me details about my phone that was different from any other phone so I knew it was the one. I let her know I would be back on Sunday (2 days from the phone call). She ask for my name and flight# and said it will be at baggage claim when i get back. Arriving back on Sunday night i went to baggage claim and the guy couldn't find my phone. A manager came out and said i'm sorry we only hold phones for 24hrs then we have to ship to the corporate office (which I thought he said Atlanta but from what I have heard in discussions on here I guess it's Alabama). What happen to the lady that was going to hold my phone? If that's the case why didn't you just mail it to me? Now I had to fill out a claim on the SW site. I just updated my info this morning with my serial number that read on the box my phone came in. I really need help getting my phone back. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: why didn't i get my phone back yet? Lost Item Report # 1514323

bgubs14
Frequent Flyer C

That's unfortunate! Yeah I suppose that lady did not know that Southwest policy has everything they find sent to the Alabama Processing Unit after 24 hours for valuable items. The best bet for things like that are to have someone come to the airport and get it before that time is up but she assured you it would be there Sunday. Now I would say you should wait and see if it turns up, especially if you gave the number on it there could be a chance they find it.

Here's their policy. If its found you'll get an email that the case is closed and the item is found

"After the form is successfully submitted, you will get an e-mail stating that the report has been received, and the hunt for the missing item will begin. You won’t have to worry about checking in with us because we will periodically send e-mail updates regarding the status of the search for up to 30 days.  If we haven’t been able to reunite you with your lost item on day 30, we’ll send an e-mail letting you know that we’ve been unfortunately unable to locate the item and have ended the search."

cands2009
Explorer C

I got a email 3hrs ago from my where my phone app saying they found a location of my device. That means someone turned on my phone. The location was in Scottsboro, AL. Here's the coordinates: 34.626073,-86.050465

I think they have it but no email yet

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@cands2009

I wonder if you contacted your phone carrier to contact Scottdale Police Dept possible to locate the phone.  A friend of mine had it traced to the phone. Hope this will helps.

cands2009
Explorer C

I found a number for the lost and found 256-999-0980. I called and was only able to leave a message. It did say their hrs of operation is 7:30a to 4pm cst. I left a lengthy message with them explaining, I know it is at their location and if they can call me. The answer machine said to leave a message someone would get back by email but hoping they can call me since I only can check my email in the evening time when I get home from work.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@cands2009 wrote:

I found a number for the lost and found 256-999-0980. I called and was only able to leave a message. It did say their hrs of operation is 7:30a to 4pm cst. I left a lengthy message with them explaining, I know it is at their location and if they can call me. The answer machine said to leave a message someone would get back by email but hoping they can call me since I only can check my email in the evening time when I get home from work.

It's my understanding that lost items go to one place (in Alabama) where an attempt to match items reported lost with items found. I think you said you reported the phne's make model and serial number. You've now verified that the item is apparently at the location in Alabama where lost items go. I'm pretty sure that you will get your phone back.

It's hard to give anyone who has reported an item as lost "Personal" attention when the people working the process likely deal with tens of thousands of items a year. I suspect it's difficult, but just gve the process time to work.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@bgubs14

I am getting the strange feeling...

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

From what I've heard, that sorting facility is amazing and they really add their LUV (I know, cute) when trying to pair items with their owners. Hoping you hear from them soon.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

cands2009
Explorer C

Hello, so I did receive a email on last Friday that they found my phone. I had to pay a 42.00 shipping fee for them to ship it 2day (it said receive Tues) thru FedEx (yikes). Still cheaper than paying for a new phone. Since I did it after 6pm on Fri it ended up being 3day instead because I got it on yesterday, Wed. While waiting for my phone over last weekend I saw I got a separate email saying they are still looking for my item and haven't been able to locate yet. I thought that was weird because I just paid to have my phone shipped. Come to find out they gave me 2 separate claim numbers. One for my phone and 1 another for my charger. Luckly the phone is what made its way back to me. I am going to cancel the other for my charger because I am not going to pay another high cost shipping fee for a charger. I have a few already at home. Everything is fine with the phone so I'm happy now. Smiley Happy Thanks for you all help and concerns.