Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

wrong name on ticket

vmendizabal2010
Explorer C

Hello,

I just bought a ticket for my Fiance and accidentally put in a different last name instead of the one that is on his ID.

I called1-855-234-4654 and they said they can't change it that I have to wait till the day of the flight, go a little earlier and do it there. How am I able to change it NOW instead of waiting on the day of the flight. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: wrong name on ticket

jksobonya
Aviator A

Cancel the flight and use the travel funds to rebook with the correct name. 

--Jessica

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

I don't think that will work because "Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed passenger."  In this case that would be a non-existent passenger with the wrong last name.

Source page: https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

Customer | Home airport DCA

jksobonya
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:

@jksobonya wrote:

--Jessica

I don't think that will work because "Travel funds from unused or canceled flight reservations have to be used by the originally ticketed passenger."  In this case that would be a non-existent passenger with the wrong last name.

Source page: https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

You're right! I didn't think that the travel funds were still in the original passenger's name. That's a no-go.

--Jessica

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

@vmendizabal2010 you should be able to get a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours of booking.

If I were in your shoes I'd contact Southwest via Twitter to see if they are able to make the name change (click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the threads for the Twitter handle). Don't post any confirmation numbers or personal information publicly.

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If "just bought" is less than 24 hours ago cancel the ticket, get a refund NOT travel funds, then rebook. 

Hopefully you didn't use an ex boyfriend's last name. Smiley Tongue

--TheMiddleSeat