Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Dual national departing USA for Cuba, using non USA passport for Cuba entry

JamesKoss
Explorer C

Can a US citizen leave the US for Cuba without a hassle at the USA exit airport by using another valid nation's passport?

Must this indivodual obtain a Cuba Visa for the EXIT or return to the US if intending to enter Cuba as a non-US citizen?

What happens when this individual returns to the US without one but uses the US passport for reentry to the US?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Dual national departing USA for Cuba, using non USA passport for Cuba entry

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This one sounds tricky. Obviously the rules for travel would apply to dual-citizenship regardless of which passport you used, but the question seems to be could some paperwork be avoided at the airports by choosing wisely which was presented?

Maybe the contact information on this site will help:

https://cu.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/traveling-to-cuba/

Anyway - I hope you find the answer, but I'd suggest a USA resource instead of Southwest. This forum is a great tool for travelers, but I think your request might be one that is very specific and not many people will have experienced for themselves yet, and you need one of those (few) people to also be active on the message board...

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.