Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Verify Passport for Cuban Travel at IAD instead of FLL

mwitchen
Explorer C

Hello - I will be travelling to Cuba, connecting to FLL from IAD (Dulles Airport, Washington DC). If I already have a valid Cuban Travel Visa (I plan to have it delivered to me prior to flight date), is it possible to have my passport verified and receive a boarding pass for the Cuban flight at IAD, instead of having to take care of it at a check-in counter at FLL?

Alternatively, is it possible to get my passport verified at the departure gate? I arrive at FLL at 11:15am and depart for Cuba at 12:10pm-- arriving and departing from the same terminal. I noticed that the verification and boarding pass must be done 60 mins before take-off, hence wanting to take care of it at IAD.

Any information is appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

Re: Verify Passport for Cuban Travel at IAD instead of FLL

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mwitchen wrote:

Hello - I will be travelling to Cuba, connecting to FLL from IAD (Dulles Airport, Washington DC). If I already have a valid Cuban Travel Visa (I plan to have it delivered to me prior to flight date), is it possible to have my passport verified and receive a boarding pass for the Cuban flight at IAD, instead of having to take care of it at a check-in counter at FLL?

Alternatively, is it possible to get my passport verified at the departure gate? I arrive at FLL at 11:15am and depart for Cuba at 12:10pm-- arriving and departing from the same terminal. I noticed that the verification and boarding pass must be done 60 mins before take-off, hence wanting to take care of it at IAD.

Any information is appreciated!

Southwest wouldn't schedule the flight that tightly if they didn't think it would normally work. I believe they have to verify that you have your passport before boarding at FLL i.e. if you verified at IAD, then left it on the connecting flight that would be a problem, so you must have it in hand at FLL.

It will be the departure gate counter at FLL, you shouldn't have to exit security and go back to ticket counter if that helps.

The 60 minute limit also applies primarily to people starting their journey at FLL, at least coming from IAD they know you are on the way (or not) already, luggage is already checked, etc.

So I think you should be fine. The only thing against you would be flight delays on the inbound leg to FLL, otherwise you should be in good shape. I'd try to set things up to go straight to the gate in FLL and check-in first, then grab a snack/restroom with any available time which will help your comfort level.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.