Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

cuban or american passport on flight info

anicarbo
Explorer C

Good Afternoon,

I am a Cuban born american citizen traveling to Cuba.

Should I enter my Cuban or American passport when booking my flight to Cuba?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Re: cuban or american passport on flight info

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @anicarbo,

The U.S. Embassy offers this information on their web site regarding dual citizens (emphasis is mine):

"U.S.-Cuban dual citizens should note that the Government of Cuba treats U.S. citizens born in Cuba as Cuban citizens and may subject them to a range of restrictions and obligations.  The Cuban government requires U.S.-Cuban dual citizens who departed Cuba on or after January 1, 1971 to enter and depart Cuba using a Cuban passport.  Using a Cuban passport for this purpose does not jeopardize one’s U.S. citizenship; however, such persons must use their U.S. passports to enter and depart the United States.  Cuban-Americans who departed Cuba before January 1, 1971 may travel to Cuba on their U.S. passport but must apply for an HE-11 visa from the Cuban Embassy.  Cuban authorities do not always notify the U.S. Embassy of the arrest of dual nationals and may deny U.S. consular officers access to them."

For more information on travel requirements for Cuba, you can visit the web site directly by clicking here.