Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

January 2020 Website & App Updates

MarkHursh
Employee
Employee

Hi Community Friends!

I'm testing the waters to see if you all are interested in learning more about recent changes to our southwest.com and mobile apps.

If you find this helpful, please let me know by tapping the heart icon at the end of the post.   Then we can consider posting this for each monthly update.

Here's all the changes we recently made this month to our websites and apps:

Changes to our Full Website (www.southwest.com)

• We will now automatically correct 1 and 0 to I and O when entering your confirmation to check-in. We added this as we do not use these numbers in our confirmation numbers, but sometimes it isn't straightforward to determine if it is a 0 (zero) or O.
  • The header in the Air and Car Shopping flow is no longer fixed to the top of your browser window.  Now you should be able to see even more flights and cars when shopping.
  • Scheduled Aircraft Type now present on Trip Details on the Confirmation Page.  As always, this is subject to change.
  • Scheduled Aircraft Type now present on the Manage Reservation/Reservation Details page.  As always, this is subject to change.
  • Corrected a link in the Save to Calendar feature to point to the flight status page
  • Resolved an issue where the My Account Unused Funds page could sporadically display as blank

Changes to Mobile Web (mobile.southwest.com)

• Added a Feedback button in the navigation to elicit Customer feedback on our website experience
  • Updated the Reservation Details to show current actual flight times on day of travel
  • Made some slight tweaks to the mobile boarding pass displays

Southwest iOS and iPadOS Apps (version 7.1)

• Updated the Reservation Details to show current actual flight times on day of travel
  • Updated the mobile boarding pass flow to bring back the option to Add to Wallet instead of directly going into the Apple Wallet,
  • Updated iPad homepage image
  • Improved the points shopping displays of international taxes and fees
  • Push notifications will soon have an updated sound
  • Added some nice little haptics/vibrations to confirm when you have completed actions like a check-in or booking

Southwest Android App (version 7.1)

• Added first name to tab for Android boarding passes to make it easier to find the right pass
  • Improved the points shopping displays of international taxes and fees
  • Push notifications now have an updated sound 
  • Added some nice little haptics/vibrations to confirm when you have completed actions like a check-in or booking

Other recent changes

You can now lookup your unusued funds in your account.  Starting December 3, 2019, if you include your Rapid Rewards number in your flight reservation, you will be able to view available travel funds from unused tickets, tickets cancelled in accordance with the No Show Policy, or tickets which have a residual balance.

Our inflight entertainment has been refreshed for January 2020.  Check out Kiran's post to learn more.

Other things we are working on

We have heard loud and clear that our multi-passenger mobile boarding pass experience is not ideal.  We have good news, we are actively testing improvements to our multi-passenger mobile boarding passes with the new experience available on flights between eight test airports.  Once testing is completed, we will share our full rollout plans.

We also are aware of the desire to bring back an improved route map.  We are currently scoping out those improvements.

Hope you all enjoy the new capabilities in our Digital expereinces.   Please do let me know if you think this information is helpful.   As always, thanks so much for your support of Southwest!

-Mark Hursh

Marketing Director of Digital Customer Platforms

Southwest Airlines