Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

737-700 and kiddos

ApplePair
Explorer B

Hoping someone can help… I’m traveling alone with my children (4 months & 21 months.) I purchased a row of three on a 737-700, and will put both kids in car seats. (I know they’ll fit in the seat fine) However, I’ve tried to find the aisle width everywhere online, emailed customer service and called. No one seems to know what the aisle width is from arm rest to arm rest. I have a Doona car seat/stroller and car seat cart that would make it easier for me to get them on, but I don’t know if they’d fit down the aisle.

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone know the width or has anyone happened to travel with their Doona and know if it does or doesn’t roll down the aisle of the 737-700? I know it didn’t fit down an aisle once, but can’t remember what plane or airline I was, and it wasn’t a big deal because my husband was with me at the time. 

20 REPLIES 20

Re: 737-700 and kiddos

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The width of the aisle changes as the plane narrows at the front and widens at the middle.  I don't know the minimum width, but that variation probably explains why you can't find a specific number.  To clarify, you did not purchase a row as Southwest does not have assigned seating.  However, you should have no problem getting a row if you board either in the A group or during family boarding which occurs between and A and B groups.  Boarding during family boarding will provide you with additional time to get all your gear onto the plane without a crowd of people impatiently waiting for you.

--TheMiddleSeat

ApplePair
Explorer B

Sorry, yes, I know I didn’t technically purchase the row of three, just assuming my two children in car seats will be in the same row as me. I should have also said I had early bird (didn’t want to wait for family boarding between A/B with two kids and two car seats solo in case I have to get all my items to a row alone.)

I didn’t realize the width of the aisle changed, but that maybe explains why no one has the answer, thank you. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I seem to remember reading the width at floor level is 18 inches, but I can't find the link at the moment. By federal law the width must be at least 20 inches at 25 inches above the floor.

https://www.highskyflying.com/how-wide-are-airplane-aisles/

ApplePair
Explorer B

I read the 20” rule too, but the southwest customer service agent’s best guess was 15”.  So, I came here to see if anyone actually knew. 18” and I’m golden, 15” and I’m in trouble. I just want to not hold people up any more than is necessary! Thanks for your help!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

15 inches at floor level is the absolute minimum - per federal law.

I can check it out when I board my next flight on the 25th.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I'll be back to work on Friday. I can get you exact aisle and seat measurements. I'll post them here by Saturday early morning. 😀 Is that too late?

ApplePair
Explorer B

We fly the 28th so if you’d be willing I’ll be so incredibly grateful- thank you so so much! 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Okay, cool! I'll make sure you and the babies get the info you need. 😊 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ApplePair wrote:

Hoping someone can help… I’m traveling alone with my children (4 months & 21 months.) I purchased a row of three on a 737-700, and will put both kids in car seats. (I know they’ll fit in the seat fine) However, I’ve tried to find the aisle width everywhere online, emailed customer service and called. No one seems to know what the aisle width is from arm rest to arm rest. I have a Doona car seat/stroller and car seat cart that would make it easier for me to get them on, but I don’t know if they’d fit down the aisle.

I know it’s a long shot, but does anyone know the width or has anyone happened to travel with their Doona and know if it does or doesn’t roll down the aisle of the 737-700? I know it didn’t fit down an aisle once, but can’t remember what plane or airline I was, and it wasn’t a big deal because my husband was with me at the time. 

It sounds like you have someone to get some measurements, and also I'm flying later today and will try to remember my tape measure. I was on one yesterday but didn't see this message. 😐

We know from here: https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/carryon-baggage that carryons are 10" thick and 16" wide. I'm 100% that it fits with clearance sideways so there are several inches more than 10" from my roller. 

Also walking down the aisle I will bump people leaning over their seats so it's a snug hip width which must be 14" to 18" straight across. 

Doona website says 20" so that seems like it might be snug but a 737-700 is still relatively modern and if 20" is the rule it should be following it.

I'll try to check back tonight, but your best bet might be @TPArampgirl with some measurements.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.