Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List and Companion Pass Boarding

schittenden
Explorer B

I've tried searching and there are a lot of posts addressing A-list boarding position and companion pass boarding position.  I haven't found one that addresses quite this wrinkle though.  I have A-list.  My wife has a companion pass.  My son is my wife's companion.  In the past, I was my wife's companion, and she did not get a boarding position with me because she was not on my reservation.  It sounds like that may have changed now.  Here is the question though.  My wife and I are on one reservation.  My son, as my wife's companion, is on another reservation (but obviously linked).  My wife should get to board with me, since we are on the same reservation.  Will my son also get a sequential boarding position because he is my wife's companion?  

16 REPLIES 16

Re: A-List and Companion Pass Boarding

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Based on my experience, since SWA started letting the companion board with the holder of the companion pass, and since you and your wife are on a single reservation, Yes you will all board sequentially 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Interesting question!  I suspect most of us will be guessing so I do hope you will return after your travel completes and let us all know what happened.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

So are you saying your wife is traveling with you as a zero cost companion and your son is traveling with your wife also as a zero cost companion?

schittenden
Explorer B

No.  My wife and I both used points for our tickets on the same reservation.  My son is the no-cost companion.  I have only A-List.  My wife has only a companion pass.

pkerr100
Explorer B

IMHO, I don't think your A-List status will trickle down to your son through your wife.  She gets here status from you but your son won't get any status from here since there is nothing to pass down.

That's just my guess as I don't think SWA has sophisticated enough systems to do that.

Let us know what happens?

schittenden
Explorer B
Solution

I wanted to provide an update. I (A-List) received A33, my wife (on my itinerary) received A34, and my son (my wife’s companion) received A35. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@schittenden Thank you for the follow up!

Good to know Southwest's systems can handle the boarding assignments as it should, despite the complexity.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@ Great information to know.  I would have guessed there would be a glitch, but nice to know that this is possible.  Thanks for the follow up 

Kristin2555
Explorer C

Two flights ago I started automatically being assigned boarding position A17, right after my A List husband's usual A16. Kudos to Southwest for changing this policy to allow us to board together.