Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking bags for partner

Amberbarone
Explorer C

My partner and I have a 7mo baby now and trying to figure out logistics of traveling with a baby is interesting! My husband wants to drop me off at the gate to get the many bags we have checked while he goes to park the car and brings the baby. We want to do it this way so we aren’t rushed for time because he has to drop off the dog at doggy daycare but we will be crushed for time- unless he can drop me first and I can check our bags. My question is if I have his military ID can I check both our bags for us with him not present? Usually the ticket counter you can print it out and tag it yourself but then you have to show your id when you drop it off. We are on the same reservation and we each get 2 free bags of course. We will have 3-4 bags I’ll need to check , so for both of us to not get charged - but will they let me do it if he’s not present? How does that work? What even if he or I was in the bathroom changing the baby - do we have to be present to check bags for eachother if were listed on the same reservation? 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Checking bags for partner

Amberbarone
Explorer C

Drop me off at the airport door - not the gate sorry! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Amberbarone wrote:

Drop me off at the airport door - not the gate sorry! 

Does your airport have curbside check-in? If so use that, they would be used to someone coming up to the counter with the other traveler's ID while that person waits in the car, or you can swap positions where one starts the check-in and the other finishes it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

This has worked for my wife and I:

Check in online or on the app. Have either paper or online boarding passes for both fliers. As Dancing David E suggested, get dropped off at curbside check-in. Show the boarding passes and the two fliers' IDs. Should work OK. Remember to tip the curbside check-in people.

Amberbarone
Explorer C

We don’t have curbside check in 

bec102896
Aviator A

Since your airport doesn’t have curbside check in it will be hard to check bags under your partner without them present.  

here’s what I would suggest have your partner drop you off with the luggage they go and park as they get close with the baby you can get in line that way they can just pop in and get to the counter with you or you can check your bags and just hold the 1 until he gets in to the terminal 

3rd option is use the self service kiosk get the tags on the bags but wait till your partner arrives to go to the counter and show your ID’s and you will be on your way in no time as you can check in on the kiosk without showing ID until you hand your bag over to the employee at the desk however if the kiosk wants you to visit the ticket counter for check in for any reason then you would have to wait for your partner 

bottom line you won’t be able to check the bags fully without the partner present to show ID but you can get a head start in many ways just pick the method that works for you. 

Even if you can’t check the luggage it’s easier to walk from curb to counter inside instead of parking lot to counter (since some parking requires a shuttle) 

Amberbarone
Explorer C

Thank you for the response. I wonder.. for this trip I bought a ticket for my baby.. so he gets two checked bags too right?? What if I check 2 under my name and 2 under the baby’s name, and even tho my husband won’t be with me I’ll have the baby. The bags are all full of the baby stuff anyway so they really are for him!

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Yep if the baby has a paid seat the baby gets 2 bags as well so you could take the baby with you and check the bags that way then just have partner get boarding pass after they park or use mobile pass and head straight for security. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Yep if the baby has a paid seat the baby gets 2 bags as well so you could take the baby with you and check the bags that way then just have partner get boarding pass after they park or use mobile pass and head straight for security. 

Stroller and car seat also are exempt and don't count if either of the bags was for that purpose. i.e. you and a ticketed baby get four items, plus two baby gear bags for stroller/car seat.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.