Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chicago Cancellations

Sgray1206
Explorer C

Southwest canceled 180 flights at Chicago Midway today due to weather, they said. All other airlines combined canceled 6 flights. There were no weather issues for all the other airlines as these numbers prove. Southwest again proves that they are incompetent and unreliable. I‘be been a faithful customer for 30 plus years but no more!

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Chicago Cancellations

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Definitely stressful, super apologies. Hopefully this is just a small blip in the overall picture, and you're on your way soon. 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

You do realize that "all of the other airlines" at MDW operate maybe25 flights/day - if that many?

So if you are wondering why "all the other airlines" didn;t have more cancellations at MDW yesterday, then maybe that's your answer.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sgray1206 wrote:

Southwest canceled 180 flights at Chicago Midway today due to weather, they said. All other airlines combined canceled 6 flights. There were no weather issues for all the other airlines as these numbers prove. Southwest again proves that they are incompetent and unreliable. I‘be been a faithful customer for 30 plus years but no more!

Delta has two gates, Volaris one gate, Porter one gate, I think Frontier got in there somewhere...Southwest has 30+ gates.

Delta and Porter also have smaller aircraft - not that the 737 is big but they need all the visibility and available runway.

However the airport as a whole had a ground stop for some time, so all airlines were in fact affected. It was very foggy, I'm not surprised.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

MDW gets lake fog, kord rarely

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

MDW gets lake fog, kord rarely

That's correct, for fog it would rarely be an issue at ORD so if the OP is looking at the airlines flying there and comparing to MDW it wouldn't be the same at all.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I guess that we have a HOLIDAY DISASTER PART II brewing.

There goes the earnings for 2023.  Shareholders are not happy.

bec102896
Aviator A

Oh and I bet you probably looked at the CBS report that only mentioned the 6 cancellations of other airlines NOT including the delays. Those other airlines will delay flights overnight I’ve never seen an overnight delay 

they were quick to mention the delays on Southwest but quick to toss out that info of other airlines. 

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Right!!! Those news reports with an agenda to target a specific thing make me so mad haha!! Like why only southwest? Can't we see the future and not the past?! Completely agree with you, but couldn't find words to write it haha so thank you!