Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged luggage

v0lleygal
Explorer C

This was my luggage after my Philly-to-Atlanta last night, 1/16/22 flight 3652.  Didn't know the airline had Wolverine as a baggage handler!

luggage1.jpgluggage2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Damaged luggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Airlines don't own/operate most of the baggage handling equipment the bag encounters as it travels from the check-in counter to the plane so there is plenty of time for damage to occur that would not be an airline's "fault".  Additionally, scratches are pretty common considering all the other bags and equipment the bag comes in contact with.  I consider all the scuffs on my bags as good signs that I've used them often on plenty of good trips.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I saw some fly off of the luggage cart due to a tight turn and some wind on a recent trip, skidding across the tarmac. They probably left a mark. Entertainment for those of us waiting at the gate.

If you notice damage like you see from Wolverine you can bring it to the attention of the baggage office but must do so within four hours. I think they do pay for some loss or damage on regular bags, but you sign a waiver for gate checked items for damage. 

I’m not 100% on that and only recently have ever owned an expensive enough bag to worry about it, but that’s my carry on. Someone else feel free to chime in if damage to the luggage itself isn’t covered to some degree.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's all a matter of how you define "normal wear and tear"

"Please know that we are not liable for manufacturer defects or for minor damage arising from normal wear and tear, such as cuts, scratches, scuffs, stains, dents, punctures, marks, and dirt. Also, keep in mind that we are not liable for baggage carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft or any items contained in a bag that was deemed to be overstuffed."

https://www.southwest.com/faq/lost-damaged-baggage

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

before and after pics would help cause