Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expire passport

shantal59
Explorer C

I was told that my little bro can travel on southwest international with his expire passport that all they will need is his birthpaper the expire passport and his permanent resident card.

Is this true ?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Expire passport

dfwskier
Aviator A

The question isn't about what Southwest will do.  It is about what immigration officials at your destination, and US Immigration officials will do   at your return.

shantal59
Explorer C

No he will look bout it once he's in ja 

Alli20
Explorer C

Hello good afternoon was your brother able to travel to Jamaica on his expired passport?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

An expired passport can be used as a form of identification along with other documents to get through TSA when traveling domestically, but you won't get any where international with an expired passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm willing to wager a bet that Jamaica will admit someone with an expired passport.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I'm willing to wager a bet that Jamaica will admit someone with an expired passport.

Perhaps if you rent a row boat. You aren't flying there. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@floridaguy wrote:

Perhaps if you rent a row boat. You aren't flying there. 

--TheMiddleSeat

I bet floridaguy would want to pre board the row  boat.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

venmo me your bet and I’ll go to Jamaica or the Bahamas without my passport this week I just show my state ID and see if I can get though (no global entry either) 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

You would definitely want to have this confirmed in writing by a Southwest representative prior to purchasing a ticket.  I would also have documentation and correspondence from the Gov't of Jamaica, not just a birth certificate.

Since SWA typically requires passengers flying internationally to obtain a paper boarding pass on arrival at the departing airport, this is the stage where a valid passport must be presented, and the boarding pass gets stamped "DOCS OKAY." If you show up with expired travel documents and without some written confirmation from Southwest and the Gov't of your home country you would be setting yourself up for a world of pain and delay. Even then, plan on extra time to obtain the boarding pass because the agent will likely need to get a supervisor involved before issuing a boarding pass.   

Good luck and safe travels.