Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family Boarding: One Adult, 3 Kids, one 6 years old

texasmom512
Explorer C

So I searched and couldn't find this exact scenario.

One adult (parent) 3 kids aged 6, 10, and 12. Will they allow us to board during family boarding together? I swear when I purchased my tickets I hit early bird to include early bird, but apparently I did not. 

Thanks for any info. 

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Family Boarding: One Adult, 3 Kids, one 6 years old

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@texasmom512 wrote:

So I searched and couldn't find this exact scenario.

One adult (parent) 3 kids aged 6, 10, and 12. Will they allow us to board during family boarding together? I swear when I purchased my tickets I hit early bird to include early bird, but apparently I did not. 

Thanks for any info. 

The wording is "two adults" per child, so the strict interpretation is that one of the older kids or yourself would be left out with the 6 year old being eligible.

However most likely you can walk up and this would be fine.

Another option is to buy upgraded boarding position for one person that will get an A1-A15 if available, for sale at the gate on the same day of travel. But you can ask the gate agent and most likely be okay for all the kids to join.

They are piloting a new expanded family boarding in some airports that would accommodate you so it's not unreasonable to ask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Up to two adults with a child under the age of seven can board with family boarding.

The other two children are above the age of family boarding, but are NOT adults.  Therefore, one of them does not count as the second adult.

I have called Southwest and asked for clarification of the policy.  Southwest does not consider a child seven or older to be an adult.  They become an adult when the state that they are standing in says that they have reached the age of majority.

bec102896
Aviator A

If you are traveling with a child age seven to 13 years old:

• If you need and request assistance, Southwest will endeavor to seat a child next to one accompanying passenger (14 and older) to the maximum extent practicable and at no additional cost.
  • Families can speak to Gate Agents or Flight Attendants to request assistance.

This wording just changed on the family boarding process recently read more Here 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Notice that 14 and older is designated as an "accompanying passenger", not an adult.

Yeah, they'll do their best to get you to sit together, but that's a pretty hollow statement.  Either there is or isn't a seat together.  No one is going to be moved or asked to move.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Notice that 14 and older is designated as an "accompanying passenger", not an adult.

Yeah, they'll do their best to get you to sit together, but that's a pretty hollow statement.  Either there is or isn't a seat together.  No one is going to be moved or asked to move.  

IMO they are using inclusive language that it may be a parent, sibling, caregiver, family member, or other authorized person. I don't think this is an age distinction other than being older than the age for the accommodation.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I believe you to be incorrect.  As mentioned, my prior call to Southwest affirmed that an adult is an individual who has reached the age of majority at the location that they are present, not someone who is older than 7, age 14 or older.

This is, once again, everyone wants to sit together like Delta but wants the pricing that goes along with open seating.  Yes, Southwest will attempt to get you to sit together, but that doesn't mean that they will rearrange the seating.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

I believe you to be incorrect.  As mentioned, my prior call to Southwest affirmed that an adult is an individual who has reached the age of majority at the location that they are present, not someone who is older than 7, age 14 or older.

So you are saying that one adult, and an undetermined number of older children under age 17 but older than 6 could board with a child 6 and under? This sounds good.

floridaguy
Aviator C

As mentioned, my prior call to Southwest affirmed that an adult is an individual who has reached the age of majority at the location that they are present, not someone who is older than 7, age 14 or older.

No, what I'm saying and I've said for over a year now is that family boarding begins with a child under the age of seven.  Once you identify the, UP TO TWO ADULTS can board with that child.

The system does not work the other way around by identifying adults, then children to go with them.

Anyone between the age of seven and the age of majority is NOT an adult on Southwest.  However, only children under the age of seven invoke the family boarding rule.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Let's try this again.  Here is the roster of people traveling together:

One adult (parent)

child aged 6   [QUALIFIES FOR FAMILY BOARDING UNDER THE POLICY]

child aged 10

child aged 12

Now that you have an individual who qualifies under the Family Boarding policy, you can attach up to two adults to accompany that child under the age of seven.

Southwest also goes on to say:

If you are traveling with a child age seven to 13 years old:

• If you need and request assistance, Southwest will endeavor to seat a child next to one accompanying passenger (14 and older) to the maximum extent practicable and at no additional cost.
  • Families can speak to Gate Agents or Flight Attendants to request assistance.

So, those that don't qualify for family boarding Southwest will "endeavor" (whatever that means) so seat that individual with an accompanying passenger 14 and older.  Notice that is not part of family boarding at all.

This becomes an endless conversation covering the same topic over and over again.  On Southwest, there is simply NO WAY to assure that people sit together since you have open seating.  Family boarding, children and sitting together are all separate issues.

I would propose to Southwest that the following options be initiated:

1. Sell all seats based upon boarding position.
  2. If someone wants seats together, charge a $400 per seat surcharge and pay $300 of that to the passenger who volunteers to move their seat.

Now, you can all sit together and everyone is compensated for their trouble.