Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

LAX Early Flight Bag Check In

RKibbbe79
Explorer C

Good evening! 
My husband and I have a 5:45am flight out of LAX and I’m curious if anyone knows how early the bag check in counter opens there? I’m a super anxious flyer and plan on getting to the airport around 4-4:30 or so and was wondering if anyone has any insight. A google search really just tells me to get to the airport 90-120 min before our flight. 

thanks in advance! 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: LAX Early Flight Bag Check In

Matt4202
Adventurer A
Solution

They’re open 24/7 and you can check in bags up to 2 hours before your flight.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I have never seen anything that indicates the check-in counter is staffed 24/7. Since Southwest does not operate red-eyes it seems unlikely that they would have check in staff there 24/7.

According to Southwest:

TICKET COUNTER HOURS

Monday-Friday

Opens 90 minutes before first departure

Saturday-Sunday

Opens 120 minutes before first departure

https://mobile.southwest.com/airport-info/LAX

You can use an app like Flightview to determine what time the first flight is if you really want to get the exact time. Since the time you are looking to arrive is relatively close to those times you shouldn't have any issues.

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

Basing it on personal experience. I’ve been to LAX at 12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am and 5am all times had at least one staff member at the desk.

I’ve been on 5am flights which would mean a 3am or 3:30am baggage check. I’ve also landed from SW flights at 12am to 2am and it’s taken up to an hour for everyone to collect baggage.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@RKibbbe79 wrote:

Good evening! 
My husband and I have a 5:45am flight out of LAX and I’m curious if anyone knows how early the bag check in counter opens there? I’m a super anxious flyer and plan on getting to the airport around 4-4:30 or so and was wondering if anyone has any insight. A google search really just tells me to get to the airport 90-120 min before our flight. 

thanks in advance! 

That's amazing @Matt4202 that it is 24 hours there. That might be unadvertised, but good to know.

Anyway @RKibbbe79 4:30 a.m. should be great for a 5:45 a.m. and the worst case would be if you arrive earlier but have to wait if someone was taking a coffee break right then.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.