Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about how WGA+ same-day flight change works

LuvFlyingSW
Explorer B

I have my first WGA+ flight next month (I always flew WGA before). I am hoping to do a free same-day change to an earlier flight, if available, but I want to make sure I understand how this works ahead of time. From what I read on Southwest's FAQ page about this, it seems like I can make the change beginning at 12:00 am the day of the flight and can do so the same way I would normally change a flight--finding the reservation in my account and clicking "change flight." Is that a correct understanding? Also, is it best to make the change as early as possible within the same-day window to maximize the chances of getting a seat on my desired flight?

I would greatly appreciate any insight from people who have done this before or who otherwise know how it works. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Question about how WGA+ same-day flight change works

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've always called to make a same day change. I seem to recall  reading somewhere that someone said that this cannot be done online.

Assuming other people are also making same day changes, it seems you have a better chance of making one earlier in the day as opposed to later in the day.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Hello from SoCal!

The Southwest flight routes that I usually take have numerous non-stop departures daily from early morning 'til late night. With all of these departure options, I usually book WGA+ so I have access to the added flexibility should I ever need to make a same-day change. I've needed to use Same Day Flight Change a few times and was able to do almost all of the rebookings via the SWA App by selecting "Change Flight" (Same Day Change feature activates after midnight of the day of the flight should there be open seats available then). Whenever I use it, the Fare Difference page will typically show $0 for the same WGA+ fare class for the same two city pairs for the same date. Sometimes, there will be a minor tax difference that will need to be paid or be credited (usually just a few dollars or less). That being said, if the flight fills up, the online option will not be available. 

Almost in all cases of flights that I rebooked same-day via the App that were not full, there were also A1-A15 Upgraded Boarding spots still available and typically I'll buy it too should I be re-assigned to the back of the B group or worse. 

There was however one exception that I experienced at LAS last summer in August where I was not able to do the change on the App even though there was plenty of room on an earlier flight. I was alerted approximately four hours prior to my original scheduled departure time that my scheduled outbound flight to SAN was delayed almost 2 hours due to widespread monsoon thunderstorm activity (nearly all of the flights at or through LAS were weather-delayed). When I tracked an earlier flight and found that its actual departure time would work for me, I attempted to rebook on the App but it showed the earlier flight option as "Unavailable." Upon arriving at LAS and going through TSA, I went straight to the Gate CSA of the earlier flight to confirm if there was room on this flight. That worked...was able to rebook and was able to immediately board as I had no checked baggage. That earlier flight was only about 60% full (also had about an hour tarmac delay and held at the gate due to weather). I can only speculate that bad weather was the reason why this Same Day Flight Change needed to be done at the gate.

Once in the air, a bumpy but gorgeous flight back to SAN:

20220812_183920.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

Hello from SoCal!

Hello!

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

There was however one exception that I experienced at LAS last summer in August where I was not able to do the change on the App even though there was plenty of room on an earlier flight. I was alerted approximately four hours prior to my original scheduled departure time that my scheduled outbound flight to SAN was delayed almost 2 hours due to widespread monsoon thunderstorm activity (nearly all of the flights at or through LAS were weather-delayed). When I tracked an earlier flight and found that its actual departure time would work for me, I attempted to rebook on the App but it showed the earlier flight option as "Unavailable." Upon arriving at LAS and going through TSA, I went straight to the Gate CSA of the earlier flight to confirm if there was room on this flight. That worked...was able to rebook and was able to immediately board as I had no checked baggage. That earlier flight was only about 60% full (also had about an hour tarmac delay and held at the gate due to weather). I can only speculate that bad weather was the reason why this Same Day Flight Change needed to be done at the gate.

I'm under-confirmed on this but when widespread weather (or other) interruptions are occurring I think there is a "big red button" that locks out booking online, presumably to keep people from shifting or booking themselves into trouble that they aren't aware of, but also to hold remaining empty seats for people at the airport to rebook.

This is speculation on my part based on my observations, not anything that has been confirmed by Southwest staff.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LuvFlyingSW
Explorer B

Thanks for that info! That's great to know. Can I make a second free same-day change, which I might want to do if I can't get an A1-15 upgraded boarding position on the first flight I changed to? The boarding position seems to be the one downside of the same-day change, but I have the Rapid Rewards Priority credit card, so I can upgrade my boarding position from C whatever to A1-15 up to four times for free. I haven't flown much since they started letting us buy the upgraded boarding position online, but it has been available on all my flights since then.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@LuvFlyingSW wrote:

Thanks for that info! That's great to know. Can I make a second free same-day change, which I might want to do if I can't get an A1-15 upgraded boarding position on the first flight I changed to? The boarding position seems to be the one downside of the same-day change, but I have the Rapid Rewards Priority credit card, so I can upgrade my boarding position from C whatever to A1-15 up to four times for free. I haven't flown much since they started letting us buy the upgraded boarding position online, but it has been available on all my flights since then.

My understanding is you can change as needed on the same day without paying additional fare with a WGA+, Anytime, or Business Select fare (or WGA with A-List or A-List Preferred status), only paying the minor tax differences if required. If you do a Same-Day Flight Change online and later learn that all the A1-A15 slots are sold out after receiving the new booking confirmation, I assume you can do another change.

Might be best at that point to call Southwest and rebook through a CSA on the phone or at the airport so you can ask beforehand whether the Upgraded Boarding is still available prior to confirming the change.

bec102896
Aviator A

I would make the change as close to midnight as you can to help your boarding position and help prevent the flight you really want from selling out before you go to make the change. 

You can make the change online shouldn’t need to call unless your reservation has a restriction on it.