Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

ssachnoff
New Arrival

Title says it all. Phone runs Android 8.1.0. Tried to open app. Says must be updated. Clicked update. Taken to Google Play Store where app no longer is listed. App icon has disappeared from phone. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

Lol, you are running an OS that came out 5 years ago on a phone that came out 4 years ago and you're angry an app no longer runs on it?

 

The minimum OS for the Southwest app is Android 9 and you can still use the mobile version of southwest.com

 

Perhaps chill a little? 

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Your problem is you are running  android 8.1, but the current app requires a minimum of android 9.0 - which I just found in the Google Play store..

 

SW does not try to make the app work on every single android version. Apparently doing so would be difficult and likely expensive, so SW does not try. I researched this last year and found the app to work on 90% of phones running android. The other 10% are running multiple

older android versions.

 

Only 2.41% of active android phones are running android 8.1.

 

 

 

 

 

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

ssachnoff
New Arrival

Thanks for the prompt reply and explanation. I guess I should feel special and not slighted. 

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone! I just wanted to drop a friendly reminder here of our Community User Guidelines. Posts that violate the Community's terms of service may be edited or removed. Thank you for your contributions!

 

Nicole
Community Manager

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

@ssachnoff wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply and explanation. I guess I should feel special and not slighted.


 

I guess it is the downside to buying a durable phone and taking care of it. 😂

 

But as was mentioned, you should get most of the functionality or at least the key features on the mobile web version of Southwest's site that you would have had in the app. 

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: SWA mobile app incompatible with BlackBerry Key2 LE

ssachnoff
New Arrival

Thanks, DancingD. Durable and taking care of one’s phone does have its downside. At least I can print boarding passes ahead of time and, as you say, use the web version.