Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Saving Seats

MrJamieMorgan
Adventurer C

Well what we are finding is people are also loading early saying they have a disability with no proof and then saving seats for friends/relatives, etc who have no advanced boarding.  Now why it's true that sometimes disabilities can't be seen, the ratio of disabled people seems to be very high with regard to the general public when it comes to these situations - the reason being is many non-disabled are taking advantage of the pre-loading opportunities that exist for the disabled.   Even if you are disabled, you should only be allowed a person or two to help you, not get on and save six seats.  It comes down to people cheating the system. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Again, Southwest allows seat saving. 😉 They're not cheating anything. As much as you or I dislike it, what they are doing is something that Southwest allows. Regardless of when they board -- Southwest allows them to save seats. They aren't breaking any rules. 

Yes, I realize that's the problem.

Preboarding abuse and emotional support animal abuse are completely separate issues, and both alreay have many, many threads here. 😉

MrJamieMorgan
Adventurer C

So I can go on first and save every seat on the plane and then get to choose who gets to sit where?  And then claim they don't have any policy that prevents me from saving seats and it's something they allow.  Wow, that's amazing!   Maybe save the first 10 rows of seats so I get to pick my neighbors.

Preboarders and emotional support can both lead to people boarding early and saving seats for those with bad boarding placement.  To that end they are the same issue.  And people are good at figuring out how to work a system - yes I call them cheaters because neither program was designed for the purpose of improving others placement for picking a seat - if that were the case,  they would allow the group to stand with the pre-boarder and the pre-boarder just say "they are with me, I was going to save their seat anyway".

kaslekwene
Explorer B

If the seat is UNOCCUPIED by a HUMAN, you CAN sit there. I have done it many times when someone was "saving" a seat, or row. If the seat is not occupied, then you can sit in it. Period. Touch me when I sit down in the seat and the flight will be delayed.

OPEN seating means just that, if the seat is OPEN, meaning non-occupied by someone's ass, then sit in it.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MrJamieMorgan wrote:

Hopefully it will reach the "tipping point" (great book by the way) and they will change it.  All I can do is log my experience/displeasure and share it with others.  The only real way to vote and get change on the issue is with the wallet.  I for one will be seriously considering a new airline going forward.  I have been loyal to this point, but this one seems like an easy fix and they just want to ignore it like it doesn't exist.  Let all the cheaters be on one airline - they can fight it out.  Not worth the headache to me. 

Competition and competitive advantages is what drives these bad policies out. If I were in a competitor airline marketing department, I'd be running commercial after commercial showing the real world experiences people get with seating and why they should choose them.  I'd theme it "Southwest, disappointment before your flight leaves the ground - fly xxxxxxxx instead".  I'd even have one that plays the "muscial chairs" game (played on a plane) and say "where will you sit today?".  It so ludricrous.   

My guess is it started off as a "good idea" to get extra money for paying to get a good seat or for that matter a seat together with your family.  But people are good at taking advantage of the system and finding the workarounds to those good intentions - and now it's a train out of control with nobody empowered to make a change, except the CEO who doesn't have to fly coach anyway - heck I'm sure the executives have private business planes.  He/She only sees the additional revenue from the "early boarding" - I don't think they realize the money they are losing from loyal people switching airlines (much harder to measure).  

Not Gary Kelly!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/why-southwest-airlines-ceo-flies-coach.html

I understand your issues with the system though. And although personally I've been supportive on this community that I generally have no problem with people saving seats for a spouse or child, it's just greedy for one person to save six seats and I probably would consider just sitting down - you have your three spots over there, we're taking these three over here. Co-workers - nope, catch up when we land.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MrJamieMorgan
Adventurer C

Not Gary Kelly!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/why-southwest-airlines-ceo-flies-coach.html

I understand your issues with the system though. And although personally I've been supportive on this community that I generally have no problem with people saving seats for a spouse or child, it's just greedy for one person to save six seats and I probably would consider just sitting down - you have your three spots over there, we're taking these three over here. Co-workers - nope, catch up when we land.

That's impressive that the CEO would fly coach, but I'm quite sure he didn't have his family with young children with him and have the last "together" seats saved so he coudn't sit down winding up in *his* family sitting in different parts of the plane.  I'd enjoy seeing that picture. 

If he was smart, he would monitor these forums and find out what real customes experiences are like and see what is happening on his airline.  Not only was I frustrated, but my kids I'm sure will remember this experience - and they are his future customers (or lack thereof). 

I love everything else about Southwest, their culture is amazing and I truly like the genuine staff.  But this reserve seating stuff is garbage and I can't believe it's gone on for so long without change.  Like I said in another post, you might be loading the plane faster and more efficient (equalling quicker turnaround of the aircraft), but it's much more difficult to measure the lost business from frustrated customers going elsewhere.  

ctgrass
Explorer C

To SW airlines customer service responses copied and pasted into another post: I see a common repetitive condition that says "as long as other customers are not inconvenienced." Isn't being inconvenienced the problem that causes the numerous complaints in the first place? SWA Customer Service - I recommend you don't make it so easy to use your own words against you.

Egator1996
Explorer C

The part the bothers me the most is mentioning inconveniencing customers. It seems every time I board a flight (I am ALP and usually A 17-30) I have to question people about sitting in a seat. Pre boards saving seats is a regular occuance. They make ME feel like an **bleep** for even questioning them. They probably fly 1 or 2 a year and I am a loyal SW customer. I enjoy the benefit or boarding early and getting a seat near the front. It is just not possible anymore. They really need to do something about his or they will lose me as a customer. I sometimes understand why people like the airlines that assign a seat for you. 

I hope they consider changing their policy. 

Kova
Explorer C

I would wait by my computer so that as soon as the clock is exactly "24hr in advance" I could check-in" hoping to get a decent seat on the plane.  Like Mr Morgan, twice I ran into passengers who reserved the seats for their friends/relatives and booed me away to find another seat.  This indeed beats the purpose of checking in early and, to my understanding, totally in contrary with open seat policy.  Open for seating, not for reserving!  I found this experience distasteful and a displeasure to fly SW.

MrJamieMorgan
Adventurer C
Solution

I chalked it up as a lesson learned. Next time, I'm just going to sit in the seats (with my family) and ask them if they want their article of clothes back.  They can boo and hiss all they want.  Rudness will get rudeness.  I'm now prepared.