Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Standby for earlier flight with WGA fare

Hforman
Explorer C

Hello! I had a question of the possibility of getting a standby seat on an earlier flight.
will be traveling from ALB to HON in 24 days and because this is an unscheduled route, I had to book separate 1-ways, ALB-OAK, OAK-HON, both WGA fares with points.

There is a flight that leaves for HON 45 minutes after we arrive in OAK, but I opted to book the one leaving 5 hours later because I didn’t want to cut it too close. 
If we are there on time, could I ask to be booked on the earlier flight? Right now, the fare difference is about $60, which I would be happy to pay.

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Standby for earlier flight with WGA fare

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Yes. Assuming you're not A-List (who receive free standby as a benefit), you'll just need to go to the gate of the desired flight and ask. If a seat is available, they'll put you on that flight and collect the fare difference. Be aware that the fare difference may change between now and then (but is unlikely). Good luck!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Lets try to highlight a point to be sure it is not mis understood

If the cheapest seat on your standby flight is more expensive than it is for the the price of your ticket , you will need to pay the difference in cost in order to fly standby.

Hforman
Explorer C

Thank you both, I wasn’t sure if standby was available at all in this fare category. I have a couple of follow up questions. Is it possible to use points to pay the fare difference? Also, I bought early bird boarding. I’m assuming that won’t be applied to the new ticket, but would it be refunded?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Hforman wrote:

Thank you both, I wasn’t sure if standby was available at all in this fare category. I have a couple of follow up questions. Is it possible to use points to pay the fare difference?

No. Changes in point flight costs must be paid with points, while changes to $ cost flights must be paid in $ 

Also, I bought early bird boarding. I’m assuming that won’t be applied to the new ticket, but would it be refunded?

Although you keep early bird when you change a flight, it is pretty much worthless for a standby flight. Early bird is not refundable unless SW cancels your flight.

Hforman
Explorer C

I actually did book the original flight with points. Are you saying that the fare difference must be paid for with points also?  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Hforman wrote:

I actually did book the original flight with points. Are you saying that the fare difference must be paid for with points also?  

That is correct

gsking
Aviator C

The fare will likely go up within 14 days of flight.   So that $60 would be more. 

If you book the flight and miss the connection,  they will put you on the other flight if there is room.     

I would call SW and get their advice.   I suspect they'll tell you to pay $60 and get the earlier flight. 

Hforman
Explorer C

I'm tempted to do that, but a little terrified that there would not be room on the later flight and I'd end up stuck in Oakland. I hate to risk losing a day or more in Hawaii to gain 5 hours.

Hforman
Explorer C

Thank you both! Hopefully I’ll be able to cover it with points.