Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Suitcase taken from overhead bin

Hurley4956
Explorer C

Not heard back from SWA concerning my bag which was taken from overhead bin and never returned despite contact info tag on handle!

I got on the plane with carry one and got off the plane with nothing—did not check because feel it was safer with me—not so much!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Suitcase taken from overhead bin

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that. I guess you'd v hear from Southwest if the offending party returned the bag to SW.

Re: Suitcase taken from overhead bin

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm also sorry to hear this happened to you.  I don't know if it happened to me if I could blame SWA airlines or not?  I often see folks get on the plane and place their bad in the overhead bin and then continue to walk further back on the plane for their seat, I would never do that.  In fact, as much as I hate it, I put my carry on under my seat.  Once the plane if fully loaded I check and see if I can squeeze it in at an overhead where I'm sitting.  I don't know how far away you were from you bag, but it's a lesson learned not to take your eye off the prize. As soon as folks jump up like there is a $100 prize for the first one to squeeze towards the front exit door, my eye is on my bin, primarily because all of my electronics are in my carryon bag. There are those that make mistakes (take the wrong bag) and those that will take it on purpose, it's just the way it is.  I've been the personal victim of thief way too many times in my lifetime to now just know to error on the side of caution because of this. If it was an honest mistake, your bag will make its way back to SWA, if not, I'm sad to say that it won't.  I've even been on the window seat and as soon as the bin opens with my bag in it, I've asked someone to hand me my bag if they would.