Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

1st Overhead Bin

LWP
Explorer C

GM!

I travel a lot—at least every week— and I’m a SWA loyalist.  

I heard something new today from an attendant: it’s a Federal Aviation Regulation, (FAR) that roller boards must be wheels in or out in the front bin. 

A courtesy? Yes, absolutely.  Especially on a full flight.  But this flight had at least 100 opens. 

I just acknowledged the request, and sat a couple of rows back. These attendants deal with enough idiots, no need to add to the stress.  

BUT… I am curious, I checked the FARs and didn’t see mention of this.  

Does anyone know?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 1st Overhead Bin

bec102896
Aviator A

I know that usually the 1st overhead bin is smaller so maybe it has something to do with that? 

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@LWP wrote:

GM!

I heard something new today from an attendant: it’s a Federal Aviation Regulation, (FAR) that roller boards must be wheels in or out in the front bin. 

A courtesy? Yes, absolutely.  Especially on a full flight.  But this flight had at least 100 opens. 

I just acknowledged the request, and sat a couple of rows back. These attendants deal with enough idiots, no need to add to the stress.  

Does anyone know?

Hello-

I didn't see anything specific defined by FAA nor TSA's What Can I Bring webpage regarding transporting roller boards as carry-on (or skateboards) other than the airline may have a defined policy if the item is carry-on. I'm not sure if your roller board is similar to a skatebard or if it is more like a square-shaped roller cart. Here's TSA's rule:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/skateboards

Anyway, Southwest does have a defined policy with the transport of these types of items (not sure if your roller board fits the description as a skateboard though):

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/special-baggage-sports-equipment

Skateboard (manual or non-electric) may be substituted for a carryon or a checked bag. If the skateboard fits under the seat, it does not need to be in a bag or covered, but it does have to be stowed with the wheels up so that it doesn't roll. If stowed in an overhead bin, a skateboard must be stowed with the wheels up and needs to be in a bag or have the wheels covered (trash bag is acceptable) so as not to damage other articles.

It's possible there was extra room in the overhead bin toward the front of the plane for this flight which may have led the FA's to make the decision to have you stow your roller board there for easy access in case it shifts during flight to prevent damage to other items in there, but I could be wrong. However, I think the FA's were simply enforcing airline carry-on policy, not FAA regulations. The FAA does limit passengers to one carry-on bag and one personal item and Southwest defines the maximum dimensions for both:

• Carry-on Bag: 24” (L) + 16” (W) + 10” (H) Max
  • Personal Item: Personal items must fit in the 16.25” (L) + 13.5” (W) + 8” (H) space under the seat (smallest available length defined)

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/carryon-baggage

Since this forum is customer-to-customer, I would clarify this with Southwest Customer Service to be sure.

https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

The first 2 are usually much smaller and also someitmes reserved for crew

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@LWP wrote:

GM!

Does anyone know?

As in not putting it in there sideways?

My guess is that this is to maximize the number of people in that section that can put their small personal items up above since there isn't any underseat space for them in the bulkhead row, as well as FA items and safety items taking up some of the space there.

Making it an FAR sounds like a stretch to me, the FAA would have to make separate rules for all different aircraft configurations.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.