Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can you actually type on a laptop in flight

cokw
Explorer C

Is the seat pitch such that one can actually use a laptop in flight?  My experience with both UAL and Lufthansa was that you had to get extra legroom seats in order for there to be enough space to open the laptop enough to be able to type  and see the screen.  What is it like on SW.

In crude graphics, those airlines' basic economy class permitted the laptop to open like _\

before hitting theseat in front.  And I need the laptop to be able to be positioned like _/ to be usable.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Can you actually type on a laptop in flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest has a bit more pitch than United, so I've had no problem using my laptop.. 

Of course one always needs to worry about the idiot in the seat in front of you suddenly reclining and crunching your screen.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@cokw wrote:

Is the seat pitch such that one can actually use a laptop in flight?  My experience with both UAL and Lufthansa was that you had to get extra legroom seats in order for there to be enough space to open the laptop enough to be able to type  and see the screen.  What is it like on SW.

In crude graphics, those airlines' basic economy class permitted the laptop to open like _\

before hitting theseat in front.  And I need the laptop to be able to be positioned like _/ to be usable.

Southwest has a decent seat pitch. That being said, I think it depends on the size of your device.

I use an HP ZBook 15 G2 15.6" for work which is an older model and had to pull it out to take care of an urgent task during a recent short-haul flight.

The laptop fits nicely on the tray table that allowed for typing but because of its size, the lid/screen needed to be oriented approxiately 90 degrees, much better than the acute angle that you illustrated but not quite at your desired obtuse angle which means my screen was facing below my face. My model laptop also has a narrower viewing angle which means a "darkening" effect on the screen whenever one looks from above its center point.

I resolved this by not using the tray table and tilting the computer on my lap to more of a V-shape in a 90 degree angle so the screen is oriented toward my face better. Typing was a bit awkward but I was able to get my work done.

My answer: It depends on the size of your laptop and its viewing angle specifications of whether there is screen darkening when not viewed at directly. I would say that if its 15" or less, it may be safe to say that you'll be able to position the laptop at least 90 degrees.

Here are some screenshots of my seat area from some recent flights aboard both the 737-700 and 737-800 fleets if that helps:

20230419_074636.jpg

20230707_073231.jpg

20230419_075051.jpg

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cokw wrote:

I use a 13.3" and it can work, although I'm a hefty guy and the non-exit row seats are a little cramped. 

I've been a bigger fan of using my tablet and tablet-keyboard if I have web application or Teams typing that I can do instead of using the laptop for formal word docs or excel docs.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Hellen68
Explorer C

Typing on an airplane is not very convenient, but it is possible if you really need to do some work urgently)

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Typing is fine, but it does get a bit tight when the person in front of me moves back OR when I have a drink. I guess I just make it work. 

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

Typing is fine, but it does get a bit tight when the person in front of me moves back OR when I have a drink. I guess I just make it work. 

Tablet and tablet keyboard FTW, doesn't cover up the little drink holder area. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.