Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Exit row hoarders?

jackyjoy123
Explorer C

Hello,

What does SWA plan to do to stop altercations due to inconsiderate priority boarding passengers (Group A, lower numbers)  "holding" multiple exit row seats for passengers who are not entitled to priority boarding. F/As will not interfere because SWA does not allow or disallow such seat hoarding and/or placement/removal of objects used to "hold" or block  the seats  which anyone may occupy upon boarding pursuant to SWA's group/number priority seating policy.

SWA  can be held liable  if someone  is injured in a fight with another passenger caused by SWA's implementation of what has become a "lawless" open seating policy.

thanks

jackyjoy

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Exit row hoarders?

floridaguy
Aviator C

This has been discussed before.  While Southwest does not publish a policy on saving seats, the practice is not supported.  Southwest's position is that you can occupy any open seat as you board the plane.

I once had someone tell me that the seat was saved.  I indicated that it might be a great concept for a book, it wasn't reality on Southwest.  I sat in the seat that was open.  

Southwest cannot be liable for getting into a fight.  However, you have the right to sit in an open seat.  If there is any type of hostility from the individual who saved the seat, notify the flight attendant and indicate that you are being harassed for occupying an open seat.  If the hostility continues, the individual will likely be removed from the flight and detained by law enforcement.

Use the tools that are available for you.  There is no reason for you to have the dirty end of the stick.

Alejandro12
Explorer C

While SW states they have no policy in saving seats, I believe any dispute should always favor anyone who paid extra for Early Bird boarding. I always pay extra for Early Bird and have frequently encountered someone savings seats for friends or family who did not pay the extra amount. And, I’ve often found myself having to decide to either not engage and risk an escalated confrontation, or choose a less desirable seat much further back in the plane. Situations which cause unwelcome stress because the airline chooses to let its customers risk escalated conflict. SW can maintain its “no official policy pertaining to seat saving” but the unspoken rules should be that flight crew always rule against those saving seats, ESPECIALLY siding with anyone who paid extra for Early Bird boarding.

floridaguy
Aviator C

The response to the issue is to sit in any open seat.  Southwest does not have a policy on saving seats, but that doesn't mean that they support doing so.

I'd venture to say that Southwest doesn't have a policy on lots of things, doesn't mean you can do it.

Sit in any open seat.

I once told a person, "That's a great subject for a book, but on Southwest it isn't going to work."  Yup, I sat there and enjoyed the flight.

You have control of the situation.  If the person argues with you, call the flight attendant.  If they stop you and otherwise block your path, have law enforcement come on the plane and file charges.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

You have control of the situation.  If the person argues with you, call the flight attendant.  If they stop you and otherwise block your path, have law enforcement come on the plane and file charges.

Or just act like an adult and move on. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

The terms and conditions of boarding a plane with Southwest apply to everyone.  Of course, everyone wants Southwest pricing but want Delta policies.  

If the seat is open and I want the seat, I sit in the seat.  That's my right.

If the person wants assigned seating, there are many other airlines who offer same.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

If the seat is open and I want the seat, I sit in the seat.  That's my right.

Or just act like an adult and move on. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jackyjoy123 wrote:

Hello,

What does SWA plan to do to stop altercations due to inconsiderate priority boarding passengers (Group A, lower numbers)  "holding" multiple exit row seats for passengers who are not entitled to priority boarding. F/As will not interfere because SWA does not allow or disallow such seat hoarding and/or placement/removal of objects used to "hold" or block  the seats  which anyone may occupy upon boarding pursuant to SWA's group/number priority seating policy.

SWA  can be held liable  if someone  is injured in a fight with another passenger caused by SWA's implementation of what has become a "lawless" open seating policy.

thanks

jackyjoy

Personally I don't begrudge anyone the chance to save one seat next to them for their spouse or kid. 

And generally speaking any middle seat is fare game, I won't choose a middle seat exit row if there are any aisles or windows left.

I pretty often see the middle seat in the exit row go unfilled, so I think really the issue should be focused on saving both exit row seats next to someone or even sometimes rows in front or behind - this I don't like, and especially not the exit row.

But TL;DR to answer your question: in hundreds of flights and what I've heard from others covering thousands of flights, I have never seen an altercation so I don't think Southwest needs to do anything specifically for that reason.

If Southwest wanted to tighten up the policy that would be fine with me but I think things basically work right now and if someone has overextended their belongings where they can't physically keep their hand on the item then do what you have to do.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

AndSoItGoes
Explorer A

"If Southwest wanted to tighten up the policy that would be fine with me but I think things basically work right now and if someone has overextended their belongings where they can't physically keep their hand on the item then do what you have to do."

If that's their hand and not their behind in that seat, I sure hope they have fast reflexes because I'm sitting there regardless if I want.

PettyIntrigues
Adventurer A

Needless aggressive behavior like this is 10x worse than someone saving one seat.