Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

In flight need help. Extreme Nut allergy.

timjthorp
Explorer C

HELP!!!! 
I’m currently on a flight coming back from Kona Hawaii. I have a very severe nut allergy. I preboarded to wipe down my seat and told all flight attendants I have a severe airborne nut allergy. The flight attendants refused to make an announcement telling other passengers about my disability. One of them even said wow you’re right I can smell the nuts not that you mentioned it. I told them it’s severe enough that I might need to use my epipen and possibly will need medial assistance in the air if it hits me. At this time they threatened to take me off the plane right then instead of just letting everyone on the plane be aware that they have an extreme allergy on board. Today is may 12 2023 I’m on flight 1384 from KOA to OAK. I told them I’m worried for my safety that it is an allergy that has almost killed me in the past and has put me in the ICU many times. I’ve looked on everything I could to make an inflight emergency contact for help but couldn’t find anything and was told by the flight attendants they don’t have a place to report my inflight safety issue. If you get this in time please notify southwest so they can hopefully help before it’s too late. I do feel like my life’s in danger any help would be appreciated. I’m currently starting to have a reaction and I’m getting no assistance. Hopefully someone on this flight can see and help tell the people on the plane about my disability. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

Re: In flight need help. Extreme Nut allergy.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Other people on the plane have the rights to consume nuts like there is no tomorrow.  Your rights end where another person's rights begin.

There is no limit to what you are asking.  I'll claim a sensitivity to cotton and everyone wearing cotton is "advised" and then do what?

Your allergy is something to be dealt with by a healthcare professional, not a flight attendant.

timjthorp
Explorer C

So apparently your ok with me smoking and blowing it in your face because I have the right

dfwskier
Aviator A

There is no guarantee that someone on a flight before yours had not consumed peanuts, or spilled them on a seat, or in some way contaminated the seat fabric. So regardless of any announcement, you were potentially at risk. Besides, passengers frequently just ignore announcements.

Thus, you have to take responsibility for your own care .

SW did it's part several years ago when it stopped serving peanuts as a snack.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Smoking on planes went out in the 1980s, thus, irrelevant.

Like I said earlier, your rights end where mine begins.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I have been on flights where an announcement was made requesting passengers to refrain from eating peanuts if possible. It's unfortunate such an announcement was not made for you. Unfortunately, it's clear from the other response you have received that some people don't care about others, but I would hope most people would have a heart and understand. Having said that, it's certainly not going to be possible to eliminate all traces of nuts from a plane and you should travel prepared for the worst. I wish you well and suggest you provide your comments in writing to Southwest after your flight. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm going to respond to the following remark:

it's clear from the other response you have received that some people don't care about others

No one has the right to come to a public gathering and insist that everyone accommodate them.  I am referring generally, not in situations where the law makes specific accommodations.

As an example, where I live we have a professional fitness center which includes an Olympic sized pool.  In fact, is is larger than an Olympic pool.  The pool is open to outside groups for a fee, and to members, of course.  I am a member.

If someone comes along and claims to have anxiety about being in a swimsuit around others and asks for the others to wear clothes at the pool, we are NOT going to accommodate such a request.  

Applying your nut allergy to the world at large is simply not going to happen.  While I do appreciate the situation, that is your own personal health issue and I'd suggest discussing that with a healthcare professional.  No, I wouldn't break out the nuts to spite you, but neither would I be inhibited with my freedom of choice.

To suggest that the flight attendant announce your condition is inappropriate.  I applaud their refusal and potential removal from the flight.

tappingmom1
Frequent Flyer B
Solution

While I sympathize with your very real medical condition and the possibility of an anaphylactic episode, I wonder if you read SWA's policy with regard to peanut allergies before booking your ticket:

We don’t serve peanuts on our flights. Instead, depending on flight length, we offer pretzels and a few other complimentary snacks. However, many of the snacks we serve may be packaged in the same facility as peanuts, so we can’t guarantee that they don’t contain peanut particles or oil. We also can’t prevent others from bringing peanuts or peanut products onboard and can’t guarantee that peanut remnants won’t be on the plane floor, seats, or tray tables. 

While some airlines may still make an announcement regarding a passenger with peanut allergies, many no longer do...and that trend is growing.  It is your responsibility to determine the airline's policy and choose an airline based on that policy.  Likewise, it is your responsibility to be prepared for possible exposure...and it sounds like you are diligent in doing this.  SWA will allow a passenger with an allergy to pre-board so that extra time can be used to wipe down the tray table, arm rests, etc. to help eliminate potential allergens.  Disposable seat and tray table covers can be purchased on Amazon.  Gloves and a HEPA mask during the flight will also help.  

If I was made aware of a passenger in close proximity with an allergy, I would do everything in my power to help with reducing exposure for that person.  In your case, I wouldn't eat my nut bar on the plane.  I see nothing wrong with quietly and politely informing your seatmates of your condition.  The majority of people are considerate and will comply.  Others will only think about themselves and their rights...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@tappingmom1 wrote:

.Others will only think about themselves and their rights...

Quite sad that people care so little about being kind to others 

--TheMiddleSeat

nushkin
Explorer A

...and considering the posting person, you would expect anything different?