Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Angry that Companion Pass not being honored

DeanWillingham
Explorer C

I am extremely frustrated with Southwest and Chase!!!  I purposely paid for my kids' college tuition using my SW card in order to earn enough points to get the Companion Pass.  I DID IT!  In the 12 month span of 2016 I had over 110,000 points.  Chase apparently does not post the transactions until the 1st of the following month, so the December tuition payments I made did not post unitl January 1st so now I am being denied my Companion Pass.  All anyone has to do is look at my transaction history to see that I did indeed spend enought to earn the 110,000 points!!!  I cannot believe that they will not honor the Companion Pass after I specifically spent enough to get it.  

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry, this sucks and you're definitely not the first person who has run into this issue. It's not when you make the purchase that matters, but when the statement closes, that's when points post. 

DeanWillingham
Explorer C

Then they need to be more specific in explaining that detail.  It's a slimy way to conduct business

franktravel
Aviator B

Program terms and conditions:

Companion Pass

A Member who earns 110,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points, transferred points transferred between members, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from program enrollment, tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass qualifying points.

Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. No points or Companion Pass qualifying points will be awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

https://creditcards.chase.com/southwest/FAQ

Second question... 

When will I receive my points?

Points earned on purchases appear in your Rapid Rewards account up to 30 days after your statement cycle date.

aenima326
Explorer C

They make this very clear.  You just made an assumption.  To suggest Southwest conducts their business in a ‘slimy’ way is a huge overreach.  

Re: Angry that Companion Pass not being honored

HighFliier
Explorer C

"All anyone has to do is look at my transaction history to see that I did indeed spend enought to earn the 110,000 points!"

All you had to do was read the clearly spelled out terms and conditions to see that you indeed did NOT spend enough to earn the 110,000 points.  Southwest shouldn't be expected to be held accountable for your mistake or your ignorance of the terms you agreed to.  It's disappointing to see what an entitlement society we've become.  You make the mistake then you cry foul and accuse them of slimy business practicies.  Give me a break!

Re: Angry that Companion Pass not being honored

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

@HighFliier wrote:

"All anyone has to do is look at my transaction history to see that I did indeed spend enought to earn the 110,000 points!"

All you had to do was read the clearly spelled out terms and conditions to see that you indeed did NOT spend enough to earn the 110,000 points.  Southwest shouldn't be expected to be held accountable for your mistake or your ignorance of the terms you agreed to.  It's disappointing to see what an entitlement society we've become.  You make the mistake then you cry foul and accuse them of slimy business practicies.  Give me a break!

Actually it was almost happend to my cousin and thanks to some blogs and then I told my cousin to move the closing date earlier and he did and he got companion pass. Chase is very flexible with this.