Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Bait and Switch Southwest Chase Promotion not honored

jrlujan
Explorer C

Dear Southwest Airlines,

I am writing to express my concern regarding the promotional credit card offer I applied for, which promised 80,000 points if I spent $3,000 in three months. I completed the requirements within the specified timeframe, but was disappointed to find that the promotion was not honored. Instead I saw only 10,000 points and I was told I was not enrolled that promotion. I explained that I clicked on the proper link when I applied.

I have been a loyal customer of Southwest Airlines for many years and have always had positive experiences with your company. I was excited to take advantage of this promotion and was looking forward to the reward points.

I would greatly appreciate if you could look into this matter and provide an explanation as to why the promotion was not honored. I have kept all of my receipts and credit card statements as proof of the required spending.

I hope that you will take my concerns into consideration and rectify the situation in a timely manner. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Joann 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Bait and Switch Southwest Chase Promotion not honored

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Joann.

Southwest has no control over Chase credit card practices - but Chase does. Thus the place to complain is Chase.

Yours is not the only complaint of  this type. The problem is that Chase offers multiple credit card bonus programs at the same time, and apparently it is pretty easy to think people are signing up for one program when they sign up, inadvertently, for a different one.

jrlujan
Explorer C

Reply to previous message:

I contacted Chase over three times -they insist that Rewards and promos such as this one is done with Southwest Airlines. When I signed up it was on a Southwest Airlines website. This matter has not been resolved Southwest Airlines -nor Chase. I am still waiting for a resolution. I did file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau BBB and they have attempted to reach Southwest Airlines- but no response as well. Please find a way to make this right. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't think it's possible to sign-up for a Southwest credit card without a signup bonus offer and 10,000 points is not a signup bonus so something isn't right here.  There could be several things going on here, but as noted, you will need to talk with Chase about any of this as they control what bonus you have and what points you will earn.

Some possibilities:

• You do not qualify for a signup bonus if you earned another Southwest credit card sign up bonus within the last 24 months
  • Chase has not actually posted the signup bonus to your account yet and what you are seeing so far is only points related to your spend
  • You did not meet the deadline for the bonus

You also did not provide information about which specific card and where you signed up through which makes it a little hard to come up with additional suggestions for you.  At the end of the day you will need to discuss this with Chase and have them tell you what is going on.

--TheMiddleSeat

jrlujan
Explorer C

Dear Middle Seat:

Response to this:

Some possibilities:

• You do not qualify for a signup bonus if you earned another Southwest credit card sign up bonus within the last 24 months

**I do not have another Chase Card

• Chase has not actually posted the signup bonus to your account yet and what you are seeing so far is only points related to your spend
  • ** Chase said they are not going to post any points to the $3,000 =80,000 points on this matter
  • You did not meet the deadline for the bonus
  • ** I have all receipts to prove that I did meet the deadline

dfwskier
Aviator A

As I said upthread, Chase controls these promotions, Southwest does not. Chase decides who is eligible for a promotion. Chase decides when someone meets the spend minimum.Chase decides how many RR points to allocate. Chase decides when to allocate those points.

So if you hope to get this fixed, then Chase will need to do the fixing.

If you want proof, here's what happened when I tried to sign up for the most recent Chase promotion today. It took me to a Chase page to complete the application - NOT a Southwest page.

https://secure04ea.chase.com/web/oao/application/card?sourceCode=H2DQ&action=guest#/origination/card...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jrlujan your comments don't really address the points I made, but it does not seem like you are too receptive to ideas so I wish you luck.

--TheMiddleSeat

jrlujan
Explorer C

Dear Middle Seat,

It seems that Southwest "Middle Seat" does not want to be receptive either. I just want an attempt by Southwest to make it "right" in some way-this has not happened by anyone at Southwest. All I am getting is the run around and excuses.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jrlujan you continue to fail to recognize the issue is not a Southwest issue so that's why it appears you are not open to input.  I merely provided some ideas which could explain what you have seen so far, your comments did not address the ideas I provided and they could still be valid explanations.  You will need to work with Chase to resolve this or determine why they are not providing you with the points you believe you should get.  I do not work for Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

jrlujan
Explorer C

If you do not work for them -then please stay out of my situation. -Thank you for exiting my conversation.