Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can $75 Southwest credit be used to buy points?

rich1954
Adventurer A

I have the Chase Southwest Priority credit card that gives me $75 Southwest travel credit every year. So, I was wondering if I could use it towards a points purchase. With the current point sale and using my $75 credit it turns into a decent deal.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can $75 Southwest credit be used to buy points?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Chase gives you the credit after you spend money on travel related things. How you use that credit is up t you

"$75 Southwest Annual Travel Credit: A statement credit will automatically be applied to your account when your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Priority Card is used for Southwest Airlines® purchases (excluding Upgraded Boardings and inflight purchases), up to an anniversary year maximum accumulation of $75"

That being said, buying points is rarely a great deal.

rich1954
Adventurer A

Buying points for .015 a point is basically the same as paying cash with the benefit of having a ticket purchase fully refundable. Pay in cash and cancelling  gets turned into travel funds expiring in 1 year.

gsking
Aviator C

Almost.   You don't get tier qualifying points....or any points at all... when you use points. 

But yeah,  the sale price gets close to that 1.5 cents.   Good use for your credit card reimbursement if you have no use for it. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The current fixed value for RR points is 83/$1, or $0.012. So you're still paying more for the points than their actual value. I'd recommend this option only if you're reaching your Chase card anniversary year and have not yet used your $75 credit.

gsking
Aviator C

Dang,  I thought it was over 1.5 before the devaluation.  It's going down fast.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

The current fixed value for RR points is 83/$1, or $0.012. So you're still paying more for the points than their actual value. I'd recommend this option only if you're reaching your Chase card anniversary year and have not yet used your $75 credit.

Or maybe if you are sitting on some significant amount of points that you want/need to use, but require $75 worth of points to top off.

I'd sure rather just use it to purchase flights instead and earn points.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rich1954
Adventurer A

Buying points is a wash if you can buy them on sale, currently they have 45% bonus.

Not such a good deal if not on sale or promo.

rich1954
Adventurer A

I just bought 20k points for $302 minus my $75 credit on my Chase card which I had to use or lose. 20k points for $227 comes to .011 per point. Without the $75 credit the points would be .015 a point.