Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancel Card then Reapply

john710
Explorer C

Wife currently has SW Plus but is looking to cancel the card and apply for the Priority to receive the sign up bonus again. It has been more than 24 months since she received the bonus on the Plus. However, she would like to apply before the 75k bonus ends on 12/5/2022. Would she encounter any issues if she applies for the Priority within a week after she cancels the Plus?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Cancel Card then Reapply

dfwskier
Aviator A

That should not be a problem. The two rules to getting a new card bonus are

1) You can't be a current cardholder

2) You can't get a new card bonus within 24 months of the date you got the last one.

Anyone can cancel a card today, and apply for a new one tomorrow.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Based on some reports I have seen that should work. Other factors obviously also come into play as to whether or not you will be approved for the card. This is a good time to apply if you are attempting to get companion pass for 2023 and 2024.

--TheMiddleSeat

kingmidaz
Explorer C

Is this information still accurate? 

I cancelled my SW card this past week, opened more than 3 years ago, with plans to apply for a new SW card (in order to get the new card bonus).
What I am hearing from chase reps is that they WON'T give a bonus if you have held the card at all in the past 2 years. 
Everything I've seen, this community, travel blogs, etc, suggested this wasn't the case. Am I locked out of getting a card (with bonus) now?! 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you read the terms you'll see that the only thing that matters is how long it has been since you received the bonus. That's the only clock. 

--TheMiddleSeat

kimtc174
Explorer C

How  I read it, also, is that the card must not be used ONLY for promotional signup bonuses. This is from their Terms & Conditions

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, or have a United States military address. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 11/7/2023. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.

kimtc174
Explorer C

I was planning on doing the same thing. I have a Personal card that was opened in 2020 and used regularly. I was gonna cancel and apply for a new card for the bonus, if possible. This is from their T & C.

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, or have a United States military address. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 11/7/2023. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

From the fine print:

30,000 Bonus Points After You Spend $4,000 On Purchases In The First 3 Months From Account Opening: The product is not available to either (i) current Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Card, or (ii) previous Cardmembers of any Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card who received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.