Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Change flight booked with points

jfuchtm
Explorer C

If I booked a flight with points and want to change the flight, does it cost additional points? The point value on the flight is the same as the one I want to change it to.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Change flight booked with points

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

That is the beauty of SW -- if the flight you are changing to is the same point value, there is no cost to change! There are never change fees; the only time you would "pay" if the new flight is more expensive -- you would cover the difference.

From the reservation in your Rapid Rewards account or from your conf. email, simply click Change and select the new flight(s). 

Happy and safe travels!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jfuchtm
Explorer C

Thanks, you were correct. It did not cost any $$, but it did take an additional 10000 points from my balance...  Oh well

jfuchtm
Explorer C

The bad part of this is, I changed due to SWA changing the original schedule...

gsking
Aviator C

If they changed your flight,  you should have 72 hours to change the flight with no added charge. 

I'm guessing you missed that window? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

If they changed your flight,  you should have 72 hours to change the flight with no added charge. 

I'm guessing you missed that window? 

If you are unable to make the change online, you can always call -- regardless of the 3-day window.

Also, in my experience the window for online changes is often larger than 72 hours, sometimes up to a week. But this varies widely, seemingly for no apparent reason.

bec102896
Aviator A

If southwest changed your flight you can make a free change within 72 hours after the 72 hours you would need to reach out to reservations 800-435-9792 or Facebook or Twitter DM and they can rebook you without a fare difference. 

If you rebooked and paid when you shouldn't have (Ig southwest made the schedule change) i would Contact Customer Relations  to see if they can get your extra points back because 10000 is a lot of points to say oh well to. 

If the schedule had more flights added but your flight wasn't changed then yes you would be responsible for the difference in points 

-Blake