Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase SW credit card and points

Tonyo906
Explorer C

I opened a SW credit card account recently. If I buy additional points with the card will this count towards the minimum charge amount to get the promotional points?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Chase SW credit card and points

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It would, but it is not something I would ever advise doing. Buying points is a very expensive way to travel. Do you need points for a specific redemption or are you just looking for ways to meet the minimum spend requirement?

--TheMiddleSeat

Tonyo906
Explorer C

Need them for specific flight. But might as well get the most of it.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Just keep in mind that you are paying more than they are worth. If you use the card to pay for the flight directly you will also earn additional bonus points. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tonyo906 wrote:

Need them for specific flight. But might as well get the most of it.

Since you have the credit card, I'm inferring that you will be flying more in the future - better off just buying your flight and earning points until you have enough to redeem for a flight that you want.

However if you can just "top off" your points by purchasing them that's sometimes what is needed. The cost per point is high compared to the estimated value from third-party sites.

Best option would be just to earn points regularly until you can use them though if you'll be flying enough.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.