Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Closing Southwest Credit Card?

S_Berstler
Explorer C

After more than 10 years, I am thinking about closing my southwest credit card because: I have another credit card with much higher balance and a lower interest rate, I don't travel as much as I use, and paying a fee every year no longer seems necessary because of the first two points haha

I have 2 questions about closing my card:

1. I have travel credits from a previously cancelled trip (thanks, Covid! lol) -- will those remain on my account if I close my credit card?

2. Will I lose all the points I already accrued on my Southwest account, or will those remain for future travel?

Thank you in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Closing Southwest Credit Card?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@S_Berstler wrote:

After more than 10 years, I am thinking about closing my southwest credit card because: I have another credit card with much higher balance and a lower interest rate, I don't travel as much as I use, and paying a fee every year no longer seems necessary because of the first two points haha

I have 2 questions about closing my card:

1. I have travel credits from a previously cancelled trip (thanks, Covid! lol) -- will those remain on my account if I close my credit card?

travel credits are held by the airline and not Chase. They remain on your Southwest account until they are used or they expire
  3. Will I lose all the points I already accrued on my Southwest account, or will those remain for future travel.
  4.  Once you earn the points, they are yours to keep forever.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Closing Southwest Credit Card?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be clear, you won't lose any Rapid Rewards points once they've been transferred by Chase to Southwest.