Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Confused with Rapid Rewards credit card early bird check in perk

Jenne03
Explorer C

Hi,

I have the regular rapid rewards credit card and saw the new perk of 2 earlybird check ins a year.  Is this per trip or per person? Meaning if I have 4 people flying together under same reservation, do I pick two and they get early bird check in or is it for everyone in my party and counted as one use of the perk?

Do you add it and pay...then get reimbursed?

/im thinking of upgrading to Priority for the 4 upgraded boardings. So you have to wait until the day of the flight to do this? You pay and get reimbursed?

Thank you so much for explaining!!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Confused with Rapid Rewards credit card early bird check in perk

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Re: Confused with Rapid Rewards credit card early bird check in perk

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

The Early Bird Check-In perk on the Southwest Plus & Premier Rapid Reward Credit Cards are counted per-person, not per trip or reservation from my understanding.

Once you purchase Early Bird Check-In, you can expect to receive a statement credit on your next statement or the one after that crediting your card with the fees for Early Bird Check-In.

Personally, I would recommend upgrading to the Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, as I think it gives you the most 'bang for your buck.' With the card, you receive a $75 travel credit, and you are guaranteed an A1-A15 boarding position which you can redeem 4 times (perk that is greater than $100 in value) compared to having a greater chance of getting an A15+ boarding position with the Early Bird Check-In perk. The points are also a good perk of the card which you can redeem for reward travel, and the card is able to move you up loyalty tiers faster with the possibility of earning Companion Pass. It does come with a greater annual fee, however, but I think that the benefits exceed the increase in the annual fee.