Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest points are no help

Suzshax
Explorer C

So far I haven’t been able to use any southwest  points and I have plenty.  

A family member said southwest would be my best bet to fly from nyc to Tampa, but not once has there been a convenient flight, and ive found cheap and better timed flights on every other airline.  

ive recently gotten a chase sapphire card which will work for a few airlines including jet blue and southwest, and jet blue seems to be a better alternative for my flights.  

I wonder if the 160,000 points on my southwest card can be transferred to my sapphire card?  Even at a bit of a loss.  I’ll call chase of course, but has anyone here ever done that?  Any tips?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Southwest points are no help

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I just looked mid-October and there are 12 flights and you can't find 1 that would work for you?  And fairly cheap.  When were you wanting to fly?  

Suzshax
Explorer C

We need nonstop flights.  And We work and cannot be flexible when we get time off.  

I know that there are flights, but they are not convenient in more ways than one for us.  

And I find better flights, perfect for us, on other airlines…and if you look at the actual prices, other airlines are cheaper. 

thanks for checking tho.  

gsking
Aviator C

Nonstop flights are harder to find these days. 

But your points won't expire.   And flights booked with them are free to cancel. 

So you can wait to find value in them. 

I have 400,000 points.   I use them for friends and relatives.   Free for them,  free for me. 

Suzshax
Explorer C

Good points.  
we have a wedding in aruba and I was going to give a family member points to fly there BUT, we all had to get rooms in advance, almost a year ago, and southwest DOES NOT fly there the days we need as it turns out.  

I guess we will have to work out a future vacation. And that will be fine.  

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Suzshax wrote:

We need nonstop flights.  

No you don't! Nonstop flights are as rare as a unicorn for the places I fly out of PHL these days. Sure it's nice to have the convenience of nonstops, but I've learned to do 1-2 stops without any problems. The only thing I really look for is that the connection time is at *least* 45 minutes. I prefer an hour or two just in case something goes wrong and a connection gets missed (it's happened) and having a few hours gives me time to relax and eat. Most airports have a lot of fun and unique restaurant options (look past the typical fast food food court), something that I feel is rarely discussed!

--Jessica

Suzshax
Explorer C

My money and work situation is such that I have limited amount of time to travel. I do not want to spend a full day of my time off in airports.  

Plus other reasons why full days of traveling are not great for us.   

basically, what I wanted to know was whether anyone has worked anything out with sapphire.  

everyone has different requirements, and I guess my biggest beef is that other airlines have plenty of nonstops for cheaper prices, to the places I want to go to. I guess I just made a mistake in my choice of cards.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

When getting a branded credit card you should always consider if the points/rewards you will be earning will actually be beneficial for you. In some cities and on certain routes it definitely makes more sense to look at other airline credit cards. It's all part of being a good/smart consumer and getting the best return. Rapid Rewards is a great program but won't always be the best choice for everyone.

--TheMiddleSeat

Suzshax
Explorer C

We thought it would be a good option because I never had a points card before and one time before we had it, I found a great flight.  Now I know.  You are very right!  

Re: SoFly the airline that best seves your needsuthwest points are no help

dfwskier
Aviator A

Fly the airline that best serves your needs. Sometimes Southwest is not that airline.

I don't thgink you can convert Southwest points to Saphire points. I think only the reverse of that is allowed.

As said upthread, your Southweast points do not expire. Just use them at some point in the future.