Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Unlimited flight pass

Beckynh10
Explorer C

We are seriously considering changing flight companies because of the options and discounts offered by Frontier. They offer an unlimited flight pass for summer (May-Sept) for $499 they also offer an annual unlimited pass for $999. Kids also fly free with a paying adult. We have a southwest credit card, we fly often because I live in California and my husband in Texas. We have 6 kids. 4 here with me and 2 with him in Texas. And somehow we aren’t even eligible for a companion pass?! We fly all the time but with a  customer service that could care less if we leave to another airline we probably won’t be flying southwest anymore. It’s extremely frustrating and disappointing 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Unlimited flight pass

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I've worked hard to earn the companion pass every year for the ability to fly free.  The amount of points from online shopping, dining through the SW Dining program, and usage of my CC for every bill I can possibly run through it, gets me free flights for both myself and husband without spending $499 or $999 each.  I'll stay with SW, thank you. It has no flight blackout dates.

How often are you flying? 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Safe travels on Frontier, enjoy their baggage fees and be aware that their gate agents now recieve additional financial compensation thru paid commisions for every carry on baggage fee the gate agent collects.

How will you deal with the 24 hour purchase restriction? Per Frontier's rules you can only "buy" your ticket one day in advance of your planned travel? So no roundtrip tickets.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Safe travels on Frontier, enjoy their baggage fees and be aware that their gate agents now recieve additional financial compensation thru paid commisions for every carry on baggage fee the gate agent collects.

How will you deal with the 24 hour purchase restriction? Per Frontier's rules you can only "buy" your ticket one day in advance of your planned travel? So no roundtrip tickets.

Forgot about the 24 hour rule, and if the plane is near full, there may not be room for momma and 4 kids  - then what????????

Frontier ACTIVELY searches for carry ons that don;t fit the bag sizer - thus triggering the onerous carry on bag fee. Didn't know that AP employees earn a commission for every one of those they catch.

I do occasionally fly Frontier, and if you really know how to play the game it is OK. Don't know the rules of the   game and the fees will play gotcha with you.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Beckynh10 wrote:

We are seriously considering changing flight companies because of the options and discounts offered by Frontier. They offer an unlimited flight pass for summer (May-Sept) for $499 they also offer an annual unlimited pass for $999. Kids also fly free with a paying adult. We have a southwest credit card, we fly often because I live in California and my husband in Texas. We have 6 kids. 4 here with me and 2 with him in Texas. And somehow we aren’t even eligible for a companion pass?! We fly all the time but with a  customer service that could care less if we leave to another airline we probably won’t be flying southwest anymore. It’s extremely frustrating and disappointing 

The rules about what it takes to qualify for Companion Pass are clearly stated. Meet the requirements and you'll get one. They aren't given away willy nilly just because someone thinks he/she deserves one.

Be careful of the  Frontier " deals". You'll still have to pay taxes - which are more than just the TSA  $5.60 fee. Don't be surprised if the "fare" is $10 and the taxes are $60 -- which you will have to pay. Then you have to pay for checked and carry on bags and maybe about $40-$50 for a decent seat. Of course you can always sit in the back of the bus for cheap. Something to drink on board?-- yup you'll pay if it ain't water. Snacks? Yup, pay up. Want to talk to a Frontier rep at the airport, pay up again for the privilege..

If you aren't; careful,  you'll find that even with a "free" ticket, you'll end up paying more than on a regular airline.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are pros and cons to each airline.  There are people who will never fly one airline, but are loyal to another.  

Although I do not agree with all of Southwest's policies, I do voice my concerns on this board (which is my right) and also to Southwest's Shareholder Relations team.

I would urge caution about Frontier's program and be sure that you understand the limitations and restrictions before burning a bridge.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

If you're ever having struggles with SWA customer service, a helpful tip is DMing on Twitter. Usually faster too.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

If you're ever having struggles with SWA customer service, a helpful tip is DMing on Twitter. Usually faster too.

It doesn't always work I have been exchanging DM's with a particularly bird brained employee after opening 2 e-mail cases with two equally birdbrained customer service agents.

No one seems to understand that 2 point to point flights are NOT a flight with a connection.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

From SAN, I usually take short-haul flights within California (and to LAS too). I looked at Frontier's "GoWild!" Pass to see if I can use it to travel up and down the state. I cannot speak for the Original Poster's travel needs but here's my opinion on this Flight Pass: It certainly do not appear to hold the value for what it's worth for my personal or business travel needs.

Limitations:

• As already previously posted, too many extra restrictions/fees on baggage
  • Risk of a sellout on desired flight...Cannot book domestic in advance > 24 hours
  • Perhaps the biggest drawback: I don't live anywhere near a Frontier hub. Thus, very few departures daily from SAN (I'll let these flight monitors and gate pics at SAN airport do the talking...and yes, both airlines operate from the same terminal)

20230516_061357.jpg

20230415_094807.jpg

Even at one of Frontier's hub airport at LAS, there appeared to be about 30 daily departures according to the LAS Airport Flight Status webpage as of this this morning. Southwest had (Ready?)...Nearly 10x the departures!

One footnote: I have a Carofield 50L Carry on Backpack that I use as a Carry-on. I'm not going to give a sales pitch on this Carry-on bag but it can go under the seat instead of the overhead bin when seated (with the exception of the very first row of course) at any Window or Middle Seat on any Southwest fleet (737-700, 737-800, 737-MAX).

20230419_074636.jpg

Note that is doesn't fit under an Aisle seat as the area is much more narrower. Also fits well at the front of the plane too where the overall width of the entire cabin is narrower.

20220812_074730.jpg

Just for the fun of it, I was near a Frontier sizing bin at SAN and placed the backpack in the "Personal Item" section. Did it fit? Nope! Way too big and likely to be charged as a regular Carry-On had I used this carrier regardless if the backpack actually fit under the seat. Enough said.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Beckynh10 wrote:

Keep an eye out for promotional companion pass offers. This includes the kids, I've had my 7 year old get a promotional offer and take the 4 year old as her companion 😁 unfortunately these were short-term offers but take what you can get.

Obviously from credit card spending you'll have at most one or maybe two of the group of you who can qualify from points in that way. Just make sure to strategize who flies with who the most often. If you are bringing kids back and forth then each adult might be the best companion pass holders, with the kids as the companions respectively. (Can be changed a few times, but have a plan in place.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.