Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: hotel points towards companion pass?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

All CP and TQP totals reset annually so it is just the January reset taking place.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I can also confirm that yes, all the points earned from a hotel stay at a Points Plus property do count towards Companion Pass.  If you are booking the hotel strictly for the points and not because you actually need the stay I would suggest you hunt around for a better deal than 7000 points for $1000.  I was able to get 10,000 points for about $200 at a hotel in town that I checked in at the desk and then went home.  I used a combination of the points from the base reservation and the additional bonus points you can add on.

--TheMiddleSeat

brianseva
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply guys. If I am going next week do you think the points will hit my account before the end of the year? It's for Vegas and I need to be as close as possible to ARIA so thats the best bonus for where I'm going. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

My experience was that points posted 2 or 3 days after the stay, but it does seem to vary by hotel. There was information last year that I think stated if the stay concluded before the end of the year then points would count toward the year the stay was in regardless of posting date, but I could be wrong and it's possible things have changed. I will see if I can find the old post.

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I found the now 2 year old information that does indicate as long as you complete the hotel stay before the end of the year the points will count in the year the stay completed.  Keep in mind this is dated info and references another hotel vendor, Rocketmiles, and not booking.com who is the current vendor.  I suspect it is still accurate, but be warned it could have changed.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/What-Counts-Toward-Tier-Status/ta-p/83739

--TheMiddleSeat

confused1
Explorer A

Hi  Middle Seat how are you?

I am reaching out because I am so confused with the hotel stays since  I need more info regarding the hotel points, specifically if they will be points towards the Companion Pass.  Please someone help 

confused1_0-1695245149153.png

Have been informed that booking a hotel stay in the Southwest booking.com points will NOT go towards Companion Pass.  I see that others here have commented the opposite.  Hoping you guys are correct.  Is a hotel stay, booked through the southwest.com hotel section considered qualifying points towards the Companion Pass?

confused1
Explorer A

hello all, how are you? So does this mean they took away a lot of the companion pass points?.  They posted the hotel stay points but it shows in rr points and not companion pass points.  I am so sad.

confused1_0-1706887735890.png

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Your bank of points stays the same - that's the 111,918 points that you have to redeem.

The yearly counter resets to zero every January 1st. So this is showing 65,091 points earned towards companion pass for this year. Pretty good for February 1!

You can go into your account and view rapid rewards points to see what the breakdown of that 65k points are from - 10,000 for being a RR credit card member and 55K+ from hotels, bonuses, flights, etc. 

You can see the 5,091 points in tier qualifying - that's where the odd amount is coming from on your CP qualification which also has 5,091 points. plus the 10,000 and then you must have a 50,000 bonus points perhaps? So the 5,091 is in both from flights.

confused1
Explorer A

thank you for the quick response!

I guess i am still confused because i thought if I had 135,000 rr points i would qualify for Companion Pass.

To be clear, the 111,918 cannot be allocated or used towards Companions Pass?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@confused1 wrote:

thank you for the quick response!

I guess i am still confused because i thought if I had 135,000 rr points i would qualify for Companion Pass.

To be clear, the 111,918 cannot be allocated or used towards Companions Pass?

The 135,000 has to be earned in one calendar year, and is regardless of your total bank of points. 

The bank goes from year to year, points don't expire. They used to expire if you didn't have activity at least every two years. So the bank can keep building and building. It has no effect on your tier or companion pass qualifying.

You can redeem the points from your bank for instance and your bank will go down, but your yearly earning keeps going from Jan 1st to December 31st whether you redeem points or not.

(Of course if you redeem points you won't also be earning new points on those flights.)

So the gauges you see on your Rapid Rewards dashboard there are for the annual earnings towards A-list and towards CP.

Here's some help on how to earn points and under what timeframes to apply to the current year:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html