Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

tier qualifying points towards companion pass

lsully100
Explorer C

Would I be able to purchase SWA gift cards in order to reach my companion pass requirement? Would I get the 3 pts per dollar spent? So close and looking for a way to keep my companion pass for 2022. I will have 117,000 of the 125,000 needed.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: tier qualifying points towards companion pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Always read the credit card terms and conditions 

"You’ll earn 3 points for each $1 spent on purchases made directly with Southwest Airlines®, including flight, inflight, Southwest® gift card, and Southwest Vacations® package purchases." 

Or, using a Southwest branded credit card you can purchase gift cards from a grocery store or other similar shop and it would qualify as a normal purchase. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Also make sure you do it in time to have your statement closing this year - purchases don’t accrue until the end of the credit card cycle. 

I’m flying now and don’t have the link but there is a big table of all qualifying end of year activity. You might look at hotel or car rental bonuses, or something like rocket miles. 

Business select flights are also a very reliable method and post instantly. If you have a day to make a points run you can buy a couple of BS fares at 12x + card purchase @ 3x points. 

Gift cards are good bough, then you have an asset in your pocket for next year.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lorimatt2
Explorer C

@DancingDavidE 

Would you please share the table you referred to with qualifying end of year activity?

My credit card payment is due on the 12th of each month with closing date on the 15th. 

I need to earn just under 28,000 pts in 2021 to qualify for 2022 Companion Pass. 

We hardly ever fly & the airport is 3 hours away, so earning through cheap/short flights is not easy.

I’m looking at the Harry & David offer but am not sure if points will post in time.
(1,000 pts for $29+ purchase thru http://www.harryanddavid.com/rapidrewards using code SW22, limit of 12 x’s)

No Rapid Rewards Dining offers within 1 hour of me. ☹️😒☹️

ANY help greatly appreciated!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Back at the computer, here is the table, or set of tables:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

H&D called out specifically in the table as eligible if the purchase completes in 2021, although the processing of that may be 6-8 weeks so you wouldn't necessarily have the CP issued in January if that happens to be when some of your flights are taking place.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@lsully100 I feel you! We are just that close too, but I can't justify piling money to achieve again when my wife (companion) is pregnant and when we have a ton of point banked. 

But I hope you are able to make it work. Great reminder from @DancingDavidE to ensure whatever you do...be sure he points will post by EOY.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Congrats!

And great point - in our heyday I’m sure we got way more than $2k benefit from it. 

This year with school starting for dearest daughter the family won’t be coming along on all my trips anymore. We’ll still use it for sure…but maybe ten times instead of 20+ times.