Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Absolutely cannot call Southwest from Mexico

Cochinita
Explorer C

There is no way to call Southwest from my iPhone. I’m near Cancun and needed to change a flight to avoid a 5 hour layover seeing many seats on other flights. Trying to make a change online threw an UNKNOWN_ERROR Error 500621380.  I try calling 01-800-083-1179, I google, Reddit, Trip Advisor, try the + the 00—nothing works. I try changing carriers from TELCEL to AT&T, Movistar, etc.: no service. I reach out to SW using Facebook Messenger with screenshots. They won’t do changes over chat, they can’t call me. They say try using non-mobile site. I sent another screenshot showing the error. 

My only option is to digest the anger and post here to at least offer solidarity to the next fellow traveler or drive to Cancun in hopes of talking to someone at the counter.

Why, why, why can’t they have a direct non-800 number! This sucks. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Absolutely cannot call Southwest from Mexico

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

I am so sorry for the frustration, @Cochinita . Calling 01-800-083-1179 should work, so I'm not sure what's going on. Did you get the assistance you needed?

Nicole
Community Manager

Cochinita
Explorer C

No. There’s no way to reach Southwest in order to change the flight. Contact via Messenger, sure, but can’t do anything thru that. I have no doubt it’s some telecom issue unrelated to Southwest. But google it. This has been going on for years based on the posts and the hit-and-miss as hoc “solutions.”  If the site were functional, I wouldn’t have needed to call in the first place. It’s repeatable. Look up that error code. I simply cannot change a return flight—maybe it’s because it’s international. I’ll have to try the “stand by” game but we both know there are luggage reroute variables etc. 

Cochinita
Explorer C

Follow up. Had to take original flight and arriving at Houston the flight that we wanted is now sold out. 

The ask: please provide a non-800 number for travelers abroad that cannot reach you by your international 800 numbers. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Cochinita  I sincerely apologize that your response was flagged by our system as SPAM. I went in and pulled it, and it's been returned to the original board. I also regret that you are not able to make any changes to your flight since you can't reach our international number. Unfortunately, as a peer-to-peer support site, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations to share your concerns. 

Nicole
Community Manager

Cochinita
Explorer C

Thank you, I’ll do that. I have concerns for those that would have more emergency oriented changes to make. While ours was one of convenience, it’s concerning enough that I raise it to garner greater attention. I appreciate you’re help in restoring the thread. I’ll re-read my posts and edit for snark and reduce to keeping focused on a solution. Thanks again. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Cochinita wrote:

No. There’s no way to reach Southwest in order to change the flight. Contact via Messenger, sure, but can’t do anything thru that. I have no doubt it’s some telecom issue unrelated to Southwest. But google it. This has been going on for years based on the posts and the hit-and-miss as hoc “solutions.”  If the site were functional, I wouldn’t have needed to call in the first place. It’s repeatable. Look up that error code. I simply cannot change a return flight—maybe it’s because it’s international. I’ll have to try the “stand by” game but we both know there are luggage reroute variables etc. 

If you are a rapid rewards member can you use the Chat function within the app?

Also Twitter can help you (don't submit any identifying info until they ask you for a direct message) - if the flight change is the same or less cost. Or if you booked with points and you have points on your account to make the change. Neither of these two methods can take payment though if the change would be a higher cost flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Sodie1
Explorer C

I had the same problem 

but, I dialed the number with no 1 or 01 in front of it. 
just dial 1800-083-1179 and it went right through. 

lnelson
Explorer C

Estimated wait on that line is currently 3 hrs.  A direct line to the US is really needed.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@lnelson with a nationwide FAA ground stop affecting all airlines and flights this morning I suspect all phone numbers are busy with long wait times.

--TheMiddleSeat