Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking confirmation received for flights I haven't booked

GwenWatson
Explorer C

I saw flights pop up in my calendar for a return between San Diego & Dallas. This was apparently prompted by an email confirming my name on the flight. I live in the UK and have not booked these flights and don't know whether this is a scam, or whether tickets have been booked in my name for some reason! And/or who has paid for these tickets. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thank you!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Booking confirmation received for flights I haven't booked

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you did not receive a confirming e-mail from the airline it is probably not real.

you could always check you own Southwest account for verification.

GwenWatson
Explorer C

Yes I received an email from southwestairlines@ifly.southwest.com

I don't have a Southwest account. I'll see if I can contact them somehow. Thank you

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Maybe someone is surprising you with a trip! 🙂  

GwenWatson
Explorer C

This was actually my first thought! Turns out, according to Southwest, that someone with my name purchased the ticket and made an error with the spelling of their email address! This seems really odd! But it seems I have someone with a v similar name + v similar email address who is actually doing that trip on the day. Brilliant!

Thanks everyone for your help! 

Gwen

jksobonya
Aviator A

Seems strange, being from the UK do you even have a Southwest account? I am doubting it since Southwest does not serve there, but if you do, I'd log on and see if there is any activity, but if not, it sounds like some sort of scam. 

You say it was prompted by an e-mail - what did the e-mail look like? Can you confirm it actually came from Southwest? I checked a few of the e-mails that I get when flights are booked or changed and the from address is southwestairlines@ifly.southwest.com. If your from address doesn't look like that, it's definitely a scam. 

--Jessica

GwenWatson
Explorer C

I don't have a Southwest account, and the email address I received it from is: southwestairlines@ifly.southwest.com

Which seems like the real one?? Unless I'm missing something. It's all really odd...

dfwskier
Aviator A

@GwenWatson wrote:

I don't have a Southwest account, and the email address I received it from is: southwestairlines@ifly.southwest.com

Which seems like the real one?? Unless I'm missing something. It's all really odd...

That is the e-mail address that sends flight confirmations. So it really did come from Southwest.

My guess, as said earlier in the thread, is that someone bought you a ticket.

You can verify that it is real by going here:

https://www.southwest.com/?clk=GNAVHOMELOGO

click on "change cancel" and input your name and the confirmation number

Don't change or cancel anything. but if anything shows up after you hit enter, that means it is real.

Does your e-mail indicate how much the ticket cost?

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

What ever you do do not click on any links in the notification! 

GwenWatson
Explorer C

Yes! I thought this! Definitely won't. Thank you!