Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Fares doubled in price.

jdurant1981
Explorer C

Up until July a fare from MDW - DEN would start around 45.00 No the cheapest flight you can get is 99.00, What makes me even more concerned is a flight from MDW-HDN is less with a layover in denver. I used to be able to get out west for half the price. Im hoping they fix this, has anyone ever seen such a substanial fare increase?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Fares doubled in price.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I will start this by answering your question.  Yes, I've seen an increase in fares over the past 2 weeks.  It was something that I knew would be coming when travel picked back up.  So I'm wondering why you didn't jump on the 49 fares when you had the chance.  Even if you didn't fly you could bank that money towards a flight you were sure you were taking.  Just like I've seen with motels, diners, (they were holding 2 for 1 price specials where I live) things will be going up.  

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Fares go up and fares come down.

Keep watching to see if they come down.

jdurant1981
Explorer C

I understand that but the base fare now starts at 99, when the bass minium far was 45

jdurant1981
Explorer C

Because the fares were just released on the 13th

dfwskier
Aviator A

It's a matter of supply and demand.

If the airline can't sell the seats for that price, then the price will come down.

It happens all the time.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

And the good news is that if you book for the now-higher price and fares do come down, Southwest allows you to keep the difference in the form of Travel Funds. This is a perk you won’t find elsewhere, and it is one of the reasons I love SW so much.

Also, and this is just strictly my opinion, I don’t think that $45 fares are sustainable.  I would be happy for $99 fares to anywhere!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

jksobonya
Aviator A

Flight prices are definitely going up and dare I say back to pre-COVID levels in some cities. In my case, PHL - LAS are back to $200+ each way which is :sigh: normal for the past few years, 2018-2019. So glad I booked some flights a few months ago when the prices were literally 75% of that (around $50 each way!).

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jdurant1981 wrote:

Up until July a fare from MDW - DEN would start around 45.00 No the cheapest flight you can get is 99.00, What makes me even more concerned is a flight from MDW-HDN is less with a layover in denver. I used to be able to get out west for half the price. Im hoping they fix this, has anyone ever seen such a substanial fare increase?

Perhaps you should look again. I just found plenty of $45 fares on the routing. Refer to the low fare calendar.

As I said earlier in the thread: Fares go up, and fares go down.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Specifically for HDN it’s a new service so there is likely to be some promotional rate to get people started to book there.

You also must be looking further out since HDN starts later this year - that far out Southwest may be looking at a resurgence for traveling volumes. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.