Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Requesting credit instead of flight credit

rmuehling
Explorer C

On Friday, we were informed that my brother-in-law in Arizona was placed on hospice. Hoping to get to see him before he passed, we made reservations that evening to fly out on Thursday, May 18 from St. Louis to Phoenix and return on Saturday, May 20, 2023. Monday morning we received a call from the family advising us my brother-in-law took a turn for the worse and Hospice advised that he had only 24 to 48 hours to live as his breathing was becoming labored. Immediately I called and cancelled the reservation but asked for a credit to my card and not a flight credit. Because of our age, (77 and 81) we are not flying, and was only doing this because of the family emergency. It was suggest that I come to this site, state my situation, and request a credit to my credit card. Thank you for your consideration.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Requesting credit instead of flight credit

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rmuehling wrote:

On Friday, we were informed that my brother-in-law in Arizona was placed on hospice. Hoping to get to see him before he passed, we made reservations that evening to fly out on Thursday, May 18 from St. Louis to Phoenix and return on Saturday, May 20, 2023(ZZZZZ). Monday morning we received a call from the family advising us my brother-in-law took a turn for the worse and Hospice advised that he had only 24 to 48 hours to live as his breathing was becoming labored. Immediately I called and cancelled the reservation but asked for a credit to my card and not a flight credit. Because of our age, (77 and 81) we are not flying, and was only doing this because of the family emergency. It was suggest that I come to this site, state my situation, and request a credit to my credit card. Thank you for your consideration.

I'm sorry to hear that. 

The advice to come to this forum was probably incorrect, this is primarily a customer-to-customer forum.

The best I can offer is to reach out to Southwest directly using the information in the Contact Southwest Customer Service and ask for a variance on this issue.

Normally any non-refundable fare would be issued as travel credit if canceled.

If you used the new travel funds to book a Wanna Get Away Plus fare, then you could have a one time opportunity to transfer the travel credit to someone else, perhaps a family member that is flying more frequently.

Good luck with customer service, and if that's not successful please consider the WGA+ approach as a backup to get the travel funds into someone's account that can use them.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unless you purchased a fully refundable fare (Business Select or Anytime) all refunds are issued as non-expiring flight credits.  There is a method by which you can transfer the credit to someone else, but there is no method by which you can get a refund back to your credit card for a Wanna Get Away fare.

This is a customer to customer forum.  You can certainly write Southwest directly and request a refund based on the circumstances stated, but such exemptions are rare.  Use the contact us link below and send a message with your request.  Be sure to at least cancel your reservation no less than 10 minutes prior to departure if you haven't already.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rmuehling wrote:

On Friday, we were informed that my brother-in-law in Arizona was placed on hospice. Hoping to get to see him before he passed, we made reservations that evening to fly out on Thursday, May 18 from St. Louis to Phoenix and return on Saturday, May 20, 2023(ZZZZZ). Monday morning we received a call from the family advising us my brother-in-law took a turn for the worse and Hospice advised that he had only 24 to 48 hours to live as his breathing was becoming labored. Immediately I called and cancelled the reservation but asked for a credit to my card and not a flight credit. Because of our age, (77 and 81) we are not flying, and was only doing this because of the family emergency. It was suggest that I come to this site, state my situation, and request a credit to my credit card. Thank you for your consideration.

Also please remove the confirmation number from your post, it could be used to manipulate your travel credits along with other identifying information.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.